What's your KSP "Wow" Moment?

GamerMitch

I had a wow moment Just today, when I decided to visit Gilly for the first time.Gilly had always fascinated me with it's low gravity.So,Jeb and I set off for Eve!After I achieved Evian(correct my spelling if I'm wrong)orbit, I was in a perfect position for a Gilly orbit.I was very antsy,Because this was my first time going, and I already had an encounter!!!

So,I touched down softly(With my Planetary transfer stage still attached) and took Jeb out to plant the flag.

5VPzKG0.png

Afterward, I took off for home.

00dPd6E.png

On the way home, I realized:I FORGOT THE PARACHUTES!!! After thinking it through,I decided not to tell Jeb.I didn't want to ruin his spirits. But, during Kerbin Re-Entry(I didn't get any screenshots of it), I had a Jebediah-worthy Idea:I still had fuel in the lander stage, so I wondered if I could make a powered landing... So I tried it, and, It worked! Jeb came home a hero, but not before I got some screenies:

FYZ9Ema.png

PyJj4gh.png

I was awestruck. So, What's YOUR "Wow" moment?

My Wow moment was during a flight to the north pole, I was using the big cargo plane with the drive in cargo bay(from the B9 pack), (i use kas to which my vehicles in, and then take off (it works pretty well) anyway i was almost there getting and as i was landing the plane it slid sideways and partially blew up the wings/gear had be destroyed and the cockpit had broken off and rolled away but the main fragile cargo that was just sitting in the cargo bay was perfectly fine, sitting in the remaining part of the fuselage

so all 6 kerbal that experience this horrific/fun incident (depending on what kind of kerbal you are) survive the to tell the story.

I went to go land in one of the munar canyons today to gather some science...

well, I got a little twitchy trying to bring it in (the ground was ANYTHING but flat), and I was trying to use as little fuel from my lander ascent stage as possible (so I was still burning the larger previous stage)

well... I oopsed and hit space a few too many times

and then I landed the TOP of the lander stage... on the tip of a tiny rockomax engine... on a huge incline

it was balanced SO perfectly...

when Kenlas got out to take some surface samples, he almost knocked the thing over!

and then getting back in... he did

but I still made it out of there, and had BARELY enough fuel to return home.

but I ended up crashing into an ocean, and Kenlas died ;.; I hit the ocean at only 6m/s, so I have NO idea what happened...

I also didn't get ANY science, because I hadn't transmitted anything, because I was panicking that my lander was tipping over as I was boarding it, so I just hit space and took off... and figured it'd be better to return the samples instead of transmitting them with loss.

screenshot55_zpsadbb3ee2.png

LOOK at that... you can see the legs of the lander stage and the previous stage over there, too...

I did the same thing the other day on Minimus, too... except I had landed it fine, and then when I boarded to transmit some science, I accidentally hit space, which fired off the 6 separatron solid ascent stage on the bottom, and I panicked and hit space AGAIN to separate the 2 remaining stages :confused:

screenshot47_zpsddfec7f9.png

I've since learned my lesson, and added a bunch of empty buffer stages between the separation of the lander stages, and before the solid ascent stage.

Edited by User Unrelated

I flipped the first time i tried to land on Jool.... Yeah yeah at that time i didnt know it wasnt possible :P

I was in shock when my lander passed through the "surface" and started going down the blackness...then exploded at about 250m under it heh

Probably my first SSTO success. I was up at about 22,000 meters, and still running on jet engines. I switched to map view, came back, and the engines had died and the thing was spinning like crazy. I eventually recovered it (about 10 seconds) and fired the rocket engines. I made it to orbit with enough fuel to deorbit, and I was amazed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.