What would Hari Seldon say about today?

ProjectXMark1

For anyone who hasn't read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, Hari Seldon is a character in the book that successfully predicted the slow-motion collapse of the (far future) governmental system and ensueing scientific regression and 30,000 years of anarchy through application of 'psychohistory', which is essentially mass-psychology/sociology condensed into mathematical equations.

Basically, what do you think his equations would come up with?

Not much. From what I recall of psychohistory, it is similar to thermodynamics in that it relies on trillions of people/atoms to give accurate predictions, and a mere 7 billion people wouldn't be a big enough sample size.

Well, seeing as Trantor's only export was reams of regulation for all the far-flung reaches and industries of the empire, just as Rome was issuing her edicts to convert half of all vineyards to grain fields and binding sons to their father's profession, I would say the modern regulatory state fits nicely with the premise of Foundation. I actually found it pretty creepy to read considering the mountains of garbage being vomited out in the federal register every year.

Human history seems to be dominated by two patterns.

The sporadic, short-term rise and fall of civilizations on the span of hundreds of years as money, power, and influence changes hands.

A long-term exponential increase of communications, mechanization, and energy consumption which is likely an S curve that will fit loosely to the population curve and will not reach a "singularity".

At the even longer scale, the history of hominids is a sequence of speciation events every few tens of thousands of years, with brutal warfare resulting in a winner-take-all scenario.

Edited by nhnifong

A bit off topic but I just wanted to say that collecting all three books in this series is one of the few things I'm truly proud of... All three printed in the early 70s/late 60s. (The original trilogy)

Also I liked the way it spoke about social development and the way religion plays a role... (Kind of like the collapse of the Ancient Roman Empire)

Edited by Mmmmyum

Huh, I just finished Forward the Foundation a few days ago.

Anyway, I think psychohistory could work on Earth, since Prelude to Foundation indicates that understanding Trantor was sufficient to begin understanding the galactic empire. One vibe I kind of get from the series relates to someone else's short story I read that humanity is kind of like the Phoenix, destroying itself repeatedly, but it is the destruction that allows it to live forever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.