Planetary bases

I'm not really sure if this should be posted here or not, if its the wrong place I am sorry.

We have all built bases on other planets to some extent even if it was just an attempt. But how many make module bases on wheels that dock togther? I'm asking primarly because I am making a kethane base on Minmus and I need to know how to get the docking ports the same height on wheels so they will actually dock togther.

Yes, that's the way to go. The easiest way to make docking ports the same height is to make a standard platform for all your modules. Make each module starting from a copy of that same platform, and it'll always match. It helps to have two docking ports on the platform; one at a slightly different height than the other, to compensate for uneven terrain, craft variations, etc.

If you build a common base part that has wheels or tracks and docking ports at the same height, then that will eliminate the problem of having docking ports at different heights. You could also use the KAS mod to have cranes that lift and lower modules onto this base, as and when needed.

If your doing a base on Minmus though, you may be better off just having the mining base take off and land on deposits, as driving on Minmus can be risky due to the low gravity and hilly terrain.

I forgot the new sub-assemblies! making a standard base platform so they all match will be easy now. The terrain height I'm not worried about for the location of Minmus I am building on, I call it the "salt flats"

It's perfectly do-able, though I suggest testing construction on Kerbin before launching it. I had a Mun base I built back when I started playing KSP. It all worked, until a graphics glitch spontaneously destroyed the base and fired its parts on escape trajectories.

bOBRQb0.jpg

j3lXMCe.jpg

The easiest way to make docking ports the same height is to make a standard platform for all your modules. Make each module starting from a copy of that same platform, and it'll always match.
If you build a common base part that has wheels or tracks and docking ports at the same height, then that will eliminate the problem of having docking ports at different heights.

QFT

moconstruction.jpg

99199168.jpg

minmusoutpost.jpg

Alright thank you guys so much for the help, I have started I launched the first segment it is in orbit around Minmus now just waiting for my scanning to yield a deposit on a flat area. One last question, I saw a crane via KAS mentioned... I have KAS and have attempeted making cranes in the past yet they always collapse under their own weight, suggestions on that?

I have KAS and have attempeted making cranes in the past yet they always collapse under their own weight, suggestions on that?

MOAR structure and MOAR struts :).

But anyway, if you're doing Kethane, be advised that sucking up Kethane, converting it to fuel, and pumping it around to other units changes the weights of all units involved. As its weight changes, the suspension of a unit's rover wheels and lander legs flexes, changing the height of any docking ports on that unit. Thus, ports that alligned perfectly on Kerbin with the units' starting weights might not align during operation in the field. You might therefore find it necessary to build in some sort of suspension adjustment system that allows you to tweak the height of units independent of their weights, so you can keep the ports at the same height.

I have my main base items, power station, science hub, living quarters etc, with a docking port at standard height and no wheels, then I have fuel tankers that can dock between the modules to transfer fuel etc and can be used as transports for the base by attaching one at either side (a transport is able to carry a module from one side but it's more secure with two. It takes a bit of time to develop a good set up, but it's definitely worth it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.