Mapping the planets interior

Deadpangod3

Now that we have science, I think that if we take data from all the science equipment to make rough estimates of the planets interiors.

First off, with the mention of "faint seismic waves" on Minmus, and taking from what I learned in science class, that means Minmus must atleast have a very small liquid core or mantle, and it must atleast have very small tectonic plates, but we don't see any trenches on Minmus, which points to it being almost geologically dead.

I could probably draw a rough estimate for the interior, but my mom took my computer for a week (I'm suffering without ksp :() so I won't be able to for a few days.

Correct me if I'm wrong at any point.

Could be measuring impacts.

The Mun readings definitely indicate impacts... and Minmus should not be immune to them. It's also way smaller than the Mun... and there's no giant planet around to heat it with tidal forces... it would have to be a solid rock under whatever that surface is made of.

Quakes in and of themselves do not indicate a liquid core or mantel. The change in velocity of the waves passing through our core is how we know it's there. Quakes do not have to be caused by tectonic activities.

Edited by FITorion

(I'm suffering without ksp :()

My friend, regardless if I agree with your mother or whatever it was you did to make her do it - if you are now feeling this way, you should take a step back from the game anyway. ;)

On the upside you will have all week to do research on this!

(Now, where do these paternal feelings come from...)

It could have a liquid core but probably not based on its size. As FITorion points out any seismic activity is likely the result of impacts. IRL our moon has "moonquakes" but no tectonics.
According to NASA, there are at least four different kinds of moonquakes:

Deep moonquakes (~700 km below the surface, probably tidal in origin)

Meteorite impact vibrations

Thermal moonquakes (the frigid lunar crust expands when sunlight returns after the two week lunar night)

Shallow moonquakes (20 or 30 kilometers below the surface)

The first three kinds of moonquakes mentioned above tend to be mild; however, shallow moonquakes can register up to 5.5 on the Richter scale. Between 1972 and 1977, twenty-eight shallow moonquakes were observed. On Earth, quakes of magnitude 4.5 and above can cause damage to buildings and other rigid structures.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_%28natural_phenomenon%29#Moonquake

Wow, I didn't think moonquakes could be so violent...

The idea of a 5.5 moonquake in low gravity is frightening to say the least. :confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.