If you could change any law of physics, what would you change?

WestAir

I would change the laws of physics so that I could (at my own discretion) become completely invisible, except for my retina. The retina need to be visible because, if light passed through them, it would be impossible for me to see anything. That would negate most of the invisibility benefits.

If I couldn't do that, I would simply change pi to equal 4. I am aware that this is rounding upward, but 4 is a nice square number, and it would allow circles and squares to have the same circumferences and areas if they have the same diameter. I'd like to see what would happen to the universe if this were instantly changed.

The value of pi is not a physical law. It's a mathematical fact and is therefore unchangeable. It would be like saying you want to change the true value of number one, or that two angles of 45° in a single plane, positioned side by side, don't give 90° but 24°.

Oh, that is awesome! As a kid I had an awesome sci-fi kind of book written by an author from Soviet Russia. Four youngsters were given an interesting device that allowed them to modify some laws of physics, such as reducing friction to near zero values, adjusting the speed of sound, turning time backwards and such. When someone flipped the switch to turn off energy conservation, a pebble was thrown at a mountain. By laws of conservation of momentum the mountain got upturned and started sliding off the island it was sitting on, whereas the pebble shot off into space at relativistic speeds.

This sounds like a cool book.

Do something about the inverse relationship between hot girls and sanity?

Tis a matter of perspective. They don't seem insane when you have an inkling of what they want, a guy who's not needy. They may be a bit oblivious to their own desires and habits, but they're perfectly sane. More human than men are I would say. I feel like a robot sometimes, and other times I'm a panicky chicken. In comparison, women are emotionally resilient, and have keen social intelligence from an early age. They are always careful with impressions and are always paying at least some attention to other people.

And I think the attractive girls are *definitely* saner. Anyone who is confident for solid reasons is saner than the rest. People who are not attractive have a lot of mental baggage, it can be hard to deal with, verging on insanity.

Edited by nhnifong

idk, i dont think ive dated one sane girl yet, some of them were pretty hot. they all seemed to have severe emotional psychological problems, which they all had to take meds for. im sure sane ones exist, though i have the feeling they aint no fun. i guess thats about as much i can say on such a g rated forum, its kinda like that motorhead song damage case.

wait, i thought this was a hack physics thread.

idk, i dont think ive dated one sane girl yet, some of them were pretty hot. they all seemed to have severe emotional psychological problems, which they all had to take meds for. im sure sane ones exist, though i have the feeling they aint no fun. i guess thats about as much i can say on such a g rated forum, its kinda like that motorhead song damage case.

wait, i thought this was a hack physics thread.

You know what they say: crazy in the head, crazy in the bed! :P

Anyways the only thing I would do to alter the universe is add a fifth force of nature, generated by thermonuclear reactions in stars, and almost undetectable in our universe. Then the Alderson Drive could be a possibility!

I'd personally have black holes that are too massive become white holes, which spew time and space everywhere. Ever action has an equal and opposite reaction, so it's possible things like black holes do/could exist.

^

Are they not the same thing? If I can travel a 100 meter distance in 1 second to get to the burger stand, it would be the same as traveling 10m/s with a burger stand 10 meters away (Assuming velocity is not the limiting factor).

v=d/t. Changing either would have the same effect for my goal.

Assuming one can change the local speed limit, and relativistic effects, one can also probably decelerate, and re-accelerate in time to appreciate and get to the next destination. :D

P.S. Plus, I get to go super fast, which is always neat.

Edited by Sternface

You seem to miss my point. Being fast is completely useless if there are way too many stars to look at. It doesnt help that you can instantly teleport to any of them, if there are 10^30 stars you will never see all of them in a human lifespan.

You would make the Universe no grander than the Solar System so that enjoying all of it becomes possible?

Is that not like throwing away an entire cake but one small slice, so that you can enjoy the whole thing in one bite? Terribly selfish. :P

You seem to miss my point. Being fast is completely useless if there are way too many stars to look at. It doesnt help that you can instantly teleport to any of them, if there are 10^30 stars you will never see all of them in a human lifespan.

Who said I had to see them all? You seem to have missed the point of this thread....it isn't what laws ZetaX would change.

Besides, by my 1,000,000th star, I probably wouldn't need to see the other 999,999,999,999,999,999,000,000 of them. I would probably only visit the more interesting ones, not stop at all 10x10^24 of them. Boring would be an understatement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.