Ship refueler - Interest?

nitzee

I have set out to learn C++ and one of my projects I've been working on is an application that automatically refuels all current flights in a saved game. I am just trying to get a feel for whether this is something anyone would have an interest in, and if so I could try to take it a bit further and more user friendly than it is right now.

Just to be clear, it could probably be used to basically give ships an infinite supply of fuel though the intention (the way I use it) is more for testing small ships and landers, especially for testing on other planets/moons.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It will fill any tank, not just stock :)

his point was "stock consumables", hyperedit fills any tank with them.

So you could make something that fills any tank, with any even modded consumable...that would be something new i think.

But more interesting would be something that gives more control on "cheating". refill a specific tank with a specific amount, or even "overfill" it.

Fill it with more weight but not useable fuel and/or. For testing lifters without changing the tanksetup in the first step it would be useful.

Edited by onkelsiebdruck

his point was "stock consumables", hyperedit fills any tank with them. So you could make something that fills any tank, with any even modded consumable...that would be something new i think.

That would be new - but difficult because the mod would have to be aware of all the different possible consumables. There was a guy trying to make a mod which accounted for all your electricity generation and consumption onboard in the VAB (so you could ensure you had enough), he had horrific problems because of all the possible modded sources and sinks. Consumables is a lesser problem at the moment, but still a steep order.

But more interesting would be something that gives more control on "cheating". refill a specific tank with a specific amount, or even "overfill" it.

Fill it with more weight but not useable fuel and/or. For testing lifters without changing the tanksetup in the first step it would be useful.

Indeed!

his point was "stock consumables", hyperedit fills any tank with them.

So you could make something that fills any tank, with any even modded consumable...that would be something new i think.

This is something I hadn't thought of, but I don't think it would be out of the question... Right now it just indiscriminately fills every storage container (fuel tanks, batteries.. etc).

Running on the same present that it does in it's current state, I think it could be molded to add extra weight to certain parts. I can see how that could even be useful for 'simulating' test flights as if they were on different planets/moons. Increase the mass of a lander by x% so you can test launch it straight from the launch pad. I'll have to think on that some more.

Combining a few of these types of things could end up with a pretty nice test flight suite.

What I have considered is a tool tip based addon that allows you to transfer consumables between parts or groups of parts/consumables within the same vessel. Right click on the part, and click xfer, then click on the target part and select receive... tank full, no cheating. Or cheating if you select the option.

It would also really be cool if you could have a list of parts to transfer between and when you mouseover the list item, the part highlights on the ship and vis versa.

Is that possible?

Edited by Papa_Joe

The reason I did C++ is that I need to learn it for a job I'm starting soon. Though if I get more into this kind of thing I'll head down the C# road. They are relatively similar to learn, no?

In terms of object Oriented Programming, it should be relatively easy to learn with c++ knowledge. It's more similar to Java, but if you know c++ you should be good. Just some new quirks with Managed Language stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.