[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

sory if this is a easy question, but where does one get the expirimental version that does not use config packs? i want it to texture memory reduce EVERYTHING.

Reducing *all* textures causes problems with textures that are already small, many of which contain text you need to be able to read or are small bits of the interface. Compressing them does little to save memory and makes the game uglier/harder to use.

No clue how to use this, I have.

Download either the basic or aggressive version and put the BoulderCo folder from the archive (ZIP file) into the GameData folder. Run KSP. The first load will take a bit more time as it is creating cached files. What this means is it is doing its compression, and saving the smaller compressed files to the disc (used to just save to ram but this was changed recently). So, for the next time you load the game, it will load a lot faster and you benefit from the compressed files.

I am getting some random black dots flickering over kerbin on the start screen (from on the mün)....

I also have visual enhancements installed.

That is a bug with VE. The Kerbin mesh is REALLY close to the cloud layer, and they intersect a bit (z-fighting). This will be fixed in the next version of VE.

That is a bug with VE. The Kerbin mesh is REALLY close to the cloud layer, and they intersect a bit (z-fighting). This will be fixed in the next version of VE.

Hey, havent seen you post in a few days. Got any news on VE and ATM?

Greetings,

I've noticed that using this mod seems to produce "scrolling shadows" or "flashing shadows" on everything. The scrolling shadows are bands that roll across the parts like ripples on a pond. Flashing shadows will appear and disappear very rapidly on any parts. While not terribly important I was wondering is there anything I can do to minimize it? Lights and shadows are both set to 32 in the graphics settings.

I'm using 2.15 aggressive with the dev DLL build that shows the memory stats. (Saving 2 GB of RAM!!!!)

Best regards,

The Dude

Greetings,

I've noticed that using this mod seems to produce "scrolling shadows" or "flashing shadows" on everything. The scrolling shadows are bands that roll across the parts like ripples on a pond. Flashing shadows will appear and disappear very rapidly on any parts. While not terribly important I was wondering is there anything I can do to minimize it? Lights and shadows are both set to 32 in the graphics settings.

I'm using 2.15 aggressive with the dev DLL build that shows the memory stats. (Saving 2 GB of RAM!!!!)

Best regards,

The Dude

On which parts exactly does this happen? It could be possible you are using part mods not currently supported by the mod which can lead to some nasty graphic bugs...

Ok, I but I have only mentioned that because the first time I have recognized it was after using this compressor...

Maybe its just my fault.

Greetings,

I'm at work at the moment but best as I recall it does it on just about everything.

Best regards,

The Dude

I'm not entirely sure WHY it does that. I noticed that both with and without the mod, it still does it with several parts (look at a KerbalX on the launchpad and look close at the center fuel tank near the edges).

Couldn't tell you why though.

Hey, havent seen you post in a few days. Got any news on VE and ATM?

I've put so much time into ATM, and with it being feature-complete (minus the GUI), I decided to get back to VE to work on volumetric clouds.

I don't want to talk about it too much in this post, but I think I have come up with a really nifty solution that should work really well while being relatively inexpensive to render. They will still be billboard sprites, but the shader I'm working on won't let people know that.

Greetings,

Best regards,

The Dude

Check your graphics settings in Kerbal space program. Texture quality or alternate shadows may be an issue.

I've put so much time into ATM, and with it being feature-complete (minus the GUI), I decided to get back to VE to work on volumetric clouds.

I don't want to talk about it too much in this post, but I think I have come up with a really nifty solution that should work really well while being relatively inexpensive to render. They will still be billboard sprites, but the shader I'm working on won't let people know that.

That is true, you put a lot of effort into ATM lately which we are thankful for. I don't understand what you mean by billboard sprites, maybe shoot me a PM and give me a little more details? Cross my heart I'll keep it too myself aha. Can't wait to see more from VE :)

That is true, you put a lot of effort into ATM lately which we are thankful for. I don't understand what you mean by billboard sprites, maybe shoot me a PM and give me a little more details? Cross my heart I'll keep it too myself aha. Can't wait to see more from VE :)

I posted an update here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-Release-6-7-Visual-Enhancements-Clouds-City-Lights?p=934197&viewfull=1#post934197

One acronym: PNG. PNGs are compressed. When they are uncompressed it is raw, unadulterated data. a single 1024x1024 image will take up about 2MB if compressed in memory. Then there are also mip-maps, which are generated after loading which add an additional 33%.

Ah, yea, fair enough. I don't work with graphics very much.

Then you have this annoying effect where in unity a texture will exist both in user and graphics memory unless you tell it otherwise.

This sounds exactly like the bug which was causing lots of ram bursting in Skyrim.

This may be a dumb question, but do I need to move the config files into their respective mod folders? Or do I just leave them in the BoulderCo folder?

For now, they have to go in the TextureConfigs folder.