'This get me from Eoloo orbit, land and back?

derp in title name thanks lajoswinkler :P

I have not yet landed/attempted a mission to Eeloo and am wanting to land, drop off stuff, and return.

This ship has 2674,9725 Delta V and CAN definitely land on Eeloo. Can it go from Eeloo orbit, land, take off, and return to Kerbin?

FK4IOzd.png

Thanks for helping :)

- Avera9eJoe

Questions come even from the experts :P (mostly experts)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Eeloo. ;)

Judging by its looks only, I'd say it can't. You might reach Kerbin's orbit, though.

To make it lighter and increase its delta-v:

- use the 1-Kerbal lander can instead of the pod, it's lighter

- two NERVA engines for such craft is too much, one is enough

- nosecones are useless, remove them

- too much batteries, you don't need all that

- use lighter solar panels, the naked ones

To be sure you can return home, use a lander docked to a tug. The lander is used for landing and ascent and should have chemical engines, and the tug should have detachable fuel tanks and run on NERVA. You can easily have more than 10,000 m/s of delta-v in such setup.

Eeloo. ;)

Judging by its looks only, I'd say it can't. You might reach Kerbin's orbit, though.

To make it lighter and increase its delta-v:

- use the 1-Kerbal lander can instead of the pod, it's lighter

- two NERVA engines for such craft is too much, one is enough

- nosecones are useless, remove them

- too much batteries, you don't need all that

- use lighter solar panels, the naked ones

To be sure you can return home, use a lander docked to a tug. The lander is used for landing and ascent and should have chemical engines, and the tug should have detachable fuel tanks and run on NERVA. You can easily have more than 10,000 m/s of delta-v in such setup.

2 NERVA engines is barely enough (2/3 throttle and still accelerating) to land on the Mun and Eeloo is 3.5% more surface gravso 2 is just enough I think.

This is the top most stage. This will be what it looks like from in Eeloo's SOI (minus the giant decoupler)

Also the extra batteries are for the orbital probe and surface probe I'm leaving behind.

And I agree with the nose cone comment, but I'm keeping them there because I plan on doing a cinema of this mission. That's why I though it was important enough to post a question :)

2674 km/s Dv? How did you get that much, even with NERVAs.

Idk why the Delta V is so crazy high (silly mechjeb is giving me strange stats BUT I'M NOT USING IT TO FLY!) that's why I'm asking :)

Does it check out for looks?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

0.22 made the nosecones do things! They're totally non-useless, guys.

:D yay nosecones! Their very light too so I find no problem in 4 of em' (along with a crap load of small struts for look and landing gear)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I'm interpreting this as "I have some other craft which can successfully deliver this into low eeloo orbit, can this then take me the rest of the way to finish the mission?" Well, assuming a perfectly optimal landing/ takeoff. landing on eeloo from low eeloo orbit takes about 720m/s, and taking off is about the same. The ejection burn from low eeloo orbit to kerbin orbit requires about 1000m/s, and any plane change maneuvers can be anywhere from 0 to 1000m/s depending on how well you time your ejection, and how patient you are. Thus, it takes a minimum of about 2400 m/s to go from low eeloo orbit to the surface, then back to orbit, then back to kerbin, but with the plane inclination change required for the interplanetary burn, this will probably be closer to 2900m/s. Note that this assumes that you will be aerobraking at kerbin.

Tl; DR: If you get a perfect transfer window, yes, otherwise you're probably gonna run a little short

sources: http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1iw30a/a_more_accurate_deltav_map/

Edited by XiXLLAMAXiX
punctuation

One thing you should test are the landing legs. They break easily this patch if you don't get a perfect landing. You don't want to tip over that far away from Kerbin unless you really enjoy loooong rescue missions. If in doubt I would use girders.

I'm interpreting this as "I have some other craft which can successfully deliver this into low eeloo orbit, can this then take me the rest of the way to finish the mission?" Well, assuming a perfectly optimal landing/ takeoff...

sources: http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1iw30a/a_more_accurate_deltav_map/

Yes, Yes and sweet thanks :) so It WILL be able to land on Eeloo, take off, and return safely back to kerbin. Thanks!

2 NERVA engines is barely enough (2/3 throttle and still accelerating) to land on the Mun and Eeloo is 3.5% more surface gravso 2 is just enough I think.

This is the top most stage. This will be what it looks like from in Eeloo's SOI (minus the giant decoupler)

Also the extra batteries are for the orbital probe and surface probe I'm leaving behind.

And I agree with the nose cone comment, but I'm keeping them there because I plan on doing a cinema of this mission. That's why I though it was important enough to post a question :)

Sorry, I was thinking about a tug. If that was tug, one engine is enough.

0.22 made the nosecones do things! They're totally non-useless, guys.

They increase stability while ascending through atmosphere, that's it. They don't lower drag. They're basically still an eye candy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.