Worst place to build a base?

Agent86

I actually plunked down a base at the north pole of Moho as part of a challenge... was within a kilometer of the mohole.

7Sdw7cx.jpg

I think I lost two colony modules trying to do that... damn Moho always taking more delta-v than you think it will.

Of course I still kinda want to build a base hanging suspended over a mohole... haven't actually measured if their diameter is >2.5km though.

Someone mentioned Kerbin's ice caps are good for making land speed record runs, so a base to support that could be useful.

As for a base over a Mohole, I recall someone using mod parts (KAS?) to hang a platform on the side of a Munar cliff. In stock you could do something similar with a cantilevered platform and a big counterweight. Might be worth doing if the Mohole is too wide to cross.

Moho. I once had a 14 km/s of delta-v from the launchpad. 1 km/s short of landing. It takes a LOT of fuel, but possible.

However Tylo, while easier to get to, is a bit harder to land on.

Also, Gilly IMO is FANTASTIC. It's very easy to get to and land on, and very fun. But uh... rovers aren't easy, they need RCS to drive. Ion hoverbikes are a better idea.

• 2 weeks later...

On any planet....

Mountaintop: Need an weirdly shaped base or mods to land on spiky mountaintops.

Canyons: Need oddly shaped bases wedged just right to be suspended in a canyon, or use mods to attach to canyon side.

Mohole: Use counterweights for a suspended "mohole bridge" and/or KAS to live on the side. Wedging a large station at the bottom is another option.

I hope the contracts systems + the mods that will be built around it allow in game base building challenges, such as have X parts docked to Y craft in the vicinity of Z location/flag in W biome of V planet at U altitude. If there's a way to submit contract success/failure of players to Squad, then the difficulty of each location could be empirically proven.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.