Why doesn't this rotor blade design fly?

Guest Brody_Peffley
Thanks for the feedback, got it working!

FAKER !!! The angled rockets are providing lift no the wings.

Your just a troll... The wings do provide lift.

1) Yes, armor plates will make a thing fly. i tried.

2) It doesnt work because you have way too much weight on that thing. Try increasing the angle of the blades, extending them, or lightening the fuel load. use Jet engines instead.

The discrepancy between what Andrew Hansen did and what everyone else is doing has to do with where stock KSP measures the velocity of the wings. It calculates the velocity of the wings at the wing root (attach point) rather than halfway down the span. This means that Andrew Hansen's design has the wings essentially "not moving" for aerodynamics purposes. If simple beams were used to push the wings further from the axis of rotation it would take off fine.

The discrepancy between what Andrew Hansen did and what everyone else is doing has to do with where stock KSP measures the velocity of the wings. It calculates the velocity of the wings at the wing root (attach point) rather than halfway down the span. This means that Andrew Hansen's design has the wings essentially "not moving" for aerodynamics purposes. If simple beams were used to push the wings further from the axis of rotation it would take off fine.

Ahh, this also explains why longer wings are needed to get this working really well. The first inner segment of wings probably isn't providing much lift, but the second and third segment being further out, and covering more distance per revolution, are calculated to provide more lift. I'll take this into consideration for my next design. Would probably be too heavy, but I am wondering if you can have a design that takes off under propeller power, and then switches to rocket stages at 20k or so. Just for fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.