Slight Noob question

I have a slightly Nooby question for the forums. Is it possible to get to any planet at anytime as by either luck or extreme coincidence I have gotten a Eve encounter and a Duna encounter and I did and I am pretty sure that both were done between proper encounter windows. I will admit that I got the Eve encounter while outside of Kerbin's SoI but it was a the same distance from the Sun as Kerbin. Any answers help.

Thanks.

It is sure possible to launch towards any planet anytime. But then it depends on what approach you choose, you may use trajectories which don't take long but eat huge delta-v, or you may take your time, wait for optimum moment and save delta-v. If you don't want to wait for launch window, you can always eject from Kerbin SOI and then plan your maneuver from there. It will be slightly less efficient than waiting till Kerbin gets there, though.

Should I start a new thread or could someone just answer - what is a "proper encounter window"?

I launch whenever I want, I can reach any planet I want, I don't have any problems with dV performance and I have no idea about astronomical terms.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.