3D printing spider robot in space

basbr

I just found the most crazy brilliant idea today.

http://www.tethers.com/papers/SpiderFab_SpringNIAC_v6.pdf

the robot go's by the name of spiderfab

its a spider robot that literally prints (parts of) space stations.

if this ever gets of the ground it would be a big step forward for construction in space.

nasa-3d-printing-SpiderFab_designboom02.jpg

follow the link in the top for some more information,

and let me know what you think about this.

Interesting ... My major concern would be that in order to pull it off, you have to have a fairly high precision machine working to rather close tolerances for extended periods of time, without any possibility of maintenance. I'm sure they'll get it right eventually, but I would bet that Comrade Murphy will get a couple of good rounds in before they do ... :-)

i find it unlikely that a purely autonomous construction system would be used, as opposed to a mostly autonomous approach. you would want a few humans on sight to oversee construction, fix any problems that might arise, and maintain the robots. you might have a swarm of robot builders maintained by only 2 or 3 astronauts.

this would be a technology to watch for proponents of orbital solar energy. as this lets you build a microwave transmitter that is capable of punching through the atmosphere, and do it on a budget.

• 2 weeks later...

The first application they mentionned for it seemed really cool (creating a starshade to help with the detection of exoplanets). I wonder if this could be used to assemble large interplanetary or interstellar vehicles in space using stronger and more heavy duty materials.

The first application they mentionned for it seemed really cool (creating a starshade to help with the detection of exoplanets). I wonder if this could be used to assemble large interplanetary or interstellar vehicles in space using stronger and more heavy duty materials.

Imagine this: Lifting naked engines, fuel tanks, crew quarters etc. and dumping them in a clump in parking orbit. Then astronauts will come, connect everything together and go back to Earth. Then along comes the SpiderBot, and starts weaving its net around internal components of a spaceship, creating any structural support the vessel will need (which shouldn't be much - it's already in microgravity, and doesn't need to withstand any serious acceleration). There is no need to send heavy structural elements to space - couple of tanks of whatever raw compound bot will use will be sufficient.

Imagine this: Lifting naked engines, fuel tanks, crew quarters etc. and dumping them in a clump in parking orbit. Then astronauts will come, connect everything together and go back to Earth. Then along comes the SpiderBot, and starts weaving its net around internal components of a spaceship, creating any structural support the vessel will need (which shouldn't be much - it's already in microgravity, and doesn't need to withstand any serious acceleration). There is no need to send heavy structural elements to space - couple of tanks of whatever raw compound bot will use will be sufficient.

Sounds like the future of human space exploration. As someone who has worked with 3D printing, I can say that the technology holds great promise and it's use it space is almost a must.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.