Cortex 1

Adding one more tank to the top stage gives it a lot more delta-V and makes first-stage flight much more stable. It might even be able to carry the satellite!

Not quite, I think. I was using this arrangement yesterday and couldn't quite pull it off. It needs about 400m/s extra oomph.

Ah, but the Escape 3k is not just a single stage rocket to orbit, it's a single stage rocket to escape velocity, which your rocket doesn't achieve.

Also it costs less and has fewer parts.

Btw my previous Escape 3k was just a more powerful version of your ship so it could reach escape velocity. Pure coincidence lol

Huh. This is exactly the same as the top two stages of my Kerbatta series. Gotta love convergent evolution. :)

I put two stages worth of solid boosters under this to get up to about 10 km, then use the liquid to insert into orbit. All the advantages of your design, plus more fuel to play with once you're up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.