Persephone VTOL dropship (and others)

Cranium

So after ogling Cupcake's dropships(They're very beautiful, I must say), and not seeing many others, I've decided I'll try to augment the community with at least one of my own. I originally tried copying(they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) what was already made, with moderate success. Enter Persephone Mk 1:

screenshot52.png

It was sufficient, but only barely made orbit and landed back at KSC. Nice, but not enough to rival anything already out there. So I needed to redesign a bit.

Mk 2 was not much of a difference, just some repositioned intakes, and a different landing gear position.

screenshot58.png

Unfortunately, it didn't make it any further than the original. So I think it's back to the drawing board for this one. Mk 3 is a complete redesign with more rocket fuel, a proper cockpit, and lighter landing gear(slightly).

screenshot84.png

screenshot87.png

screenshot86.png

I think it looks kind of like an insect, so I'm debating on a name change to be more appropriate.

I did try a winged version, but it simply does NOT work at all after transitioning to horizontal movement. It may not have enough lift, and I probably need to add more wing to it.

screenshot85.png

So far, I have yet to be able to test the Mk 3 properly, and attempt an extraplanetary mission. It does have a number of problems with it before I can test it completely, chief among being the issue I have with the amount of part clipping(no debug menu, just a lot of smart placement), it tends to perform a rapid, unplanned disassembly if the engine even touches the ground slightly. I don't think there would be any way for me to fix that without completely redesigning it again.

Let me know what you think, and tell me what I can improve upon.

Downloads:

Persephone Mk 1

Persephone Mk 2

Persephone Mk 3

Persephone Mk 3 Aero

Note: All crafts have MechJeb installed. If you don't want MechJeb, or don't have it installed, you'd need to edit the .craft file directly to remove the modules.

Edited by Cranium

If you take it apart, you'll notice that all fuel flows into the center tank that's positioned vertically. It's a bit of hackery and even more part clipping to get that working, but it does it nicely. appartenly, existing fuel lines continue to pump to their original destination if they are completely clipped inside another part, and not sticking out.

[snip]...and lighter landing gear(slightly)...[snip]

Uhh, it might be helpful to note that the small gear bays are considered massless by the Kerbal physics engine, whereas the landing legs are considered to have mass.

-Ojimak

Edited by Ojimak

Hmm, the more I work on this, it's becoming clear. We need more thrust for the weight we have. I guess I'll work on a dual engine design. I think i'm trying too hard to get as much fuel as possible into orbit without sacrificing aesthetics. Next version that comes out will have better engines, and should actually have capabilities to exit Kerbin SOI.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.