[WIP] Cacteye Telescope v0.1 (2/1/14) - Modular, EVA-serviceable orbital telescope

Rubber Ducky

Do you mean making it so that an image of Duna from Kerbin orbit, or the Mun, or Eve would all count as the same experiment, making it so that each planet could only be imaged once (or perhaps a more limited number of times)? This is possible I think, just not when inheriting the ModuleScienceExperiment like your plugin does. You would need to use IScienceDataContainer and recreate the experiment that way.

Using this method you can point the module to whichever planet you want the science experiment to apply to. Normally you would just use something like vessel.mainBody, but I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't just always point the experiment towards Kerbin, so that every experiment thinks you are in Kerbin orbit, regardless of where you actually are. You can check out the SCANsat or the Tarsier Space Tech source (or mine if I can ever get it working right), those are the only two that I know of that use this method, but there are probably others.

It's a bit more complicated to use IScienceDataContainer, but it gives you a lot more flexibility in how you can set up your experiments.

Cool, thanks! I wasn't sure if you could do that. I'll take a look into it when I resume work on this mod.

Anyone else have occasional problems with the solar panels being blocked by themselves?

Yes, several times, if you turn the solar panels so they catch some light they seem to reset them self. But that's the only thing I noticed. All in all it is a great mod.

I love the mod Rubber Ducky, and I have to mention that some of the parts I.E. the gyroscopes, are extremely useful in applications other than intended. They are great for building rovers via KAS on low gravity bodies. I never realized how useful a small KAS attachable SAS unit would be. On another note do not send a telescope outside the Kerbin SOI it produces game breaking amounts of science

Edited by CommanderPetrovaski

Houston, we have a problem

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQSCity.OnSphereReset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.Mod_OnSphereReset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.ResetSphere () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at CactEyeTelescope.TelescopeGuidance.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Rel. Velocity of Tesla I at Telescoop encounter = <2,000 m/s

Tesla I RVEL vector pointing at Telescoop, still moving away

Tesla I RVEL experiencing serious space-time slowdown, what they call "lag"

Say again, Tesla?

Houston, Tesla. We have a problem. Very large problem.

We're unaware of any disturbances in your signal, so it's not communications, so what's your problem?

...NullReferenceException'd.

Tesla, say again.

...Null Reference Exception.

Tesla, it's been a pleasure.

Tesla?

...We're reading very odd readings. Very odd.

...Tesla. Say again. And also... are you capable of recovery?

...HOLY CRAP; IT'S EVERYWHERE! HOLY CRAP, CRAP CRAP CRAP!

This is Tesla! Say situation!

...NULL REFERENC--ES E--V--- RYWHEAAAERRRrrr

Tesla, send us telemetry in text, we can't understand!

...The final reading of Tesla I's crew:

_-30-frmkt5!*********###@!@!!!^T%TJjskemq------/HELP...

Never forget, Tesla 1 crew. succumbed to the Kraken of C++, and may their souls rest in peace. But check the code first.

/silly

Okay, so null reference exception.

Aaargh, I feel bad for you. D:

-Naten :)

Good luck. :)

this plugin is currently incompatible(ish) with the new KAS. it works but the it spams the debug log with "wrong kas version" it causes framerate to drop to the sub 20's(i usually run ksp at avarage of 60fps+) probably only one line that needs to be added to the compatibility checker.

EDIT:

after some more testing it was caused by another mod(damn i wish ppl would add the name of the plugin to the debug print)

Edited by landeTLS

Is there a tutorial or guide for this mod Or Can someone tell me how to use it to get science points in career. I launched it with some kerbals and put in in orbit at 300 km around Kerbal but I can't do anything except service it or open the aperture.

Did you have the processor setup in it's holder inside the service bay (along with the experiment packages)? Basically once you open the aperture (NO POINTY AT SUN!), right click the processor and activate it, then right click your experiment modules and run them. Referring to my current Tech level, two of the basic one are "one shot" deals, the other is repeatable if you point the telescope at other targets.

Hope this helps

Did you have the processor setup in it's holder inside the service bay (along with the experiment packages)? Basically once you open the aperture (NO POINTY AT SUN!), right click the processor and activate it, then right click your experiment modules and run them. Referring to my current Tech level, two of the basic one are "one shot" deals, the other is repeatable if you point the telescope at other targets.

Hope this helps

I used the example craft file but am not able to figure out how to use it. I will try again so after opening the aperture I open the bay door and click the processor right? Do you need a Kerbal on the ladder?

I used the example craft file but am not able to figure out how to use it. I will try again so after opening the aperture I open the bay door and click the processor right? Do you need a Kerbal on the ladder?

I haven't needed a Kerbal, but I'm not sure if that's because I built mine with a probe core or not?

Anyway, once you activate the processor you have to click one of the experiment packages and use it. So the steps as I do them:

Open Bay, Open Aperture, Activate CPU, Use Exper. Module(s) ; Point at target, use cam module, rinse repeat...

Maybe someone that makes youtubes can help out here?

Another (very minor) bug report for next time you're updating this awesome pack.

In the config files for three of the parts (tele_experimentLow0, tele_experimentMid0, tele_experimentHigh0), a semicolon has snuck onto the end of the valueScale parameter of the TelescopeExperiment module. This is causing an invalid floating point number error in the logs when they load, and it isn't clear whether it just stops parsing at that point, or whether it just fails to set the value completely.

Like I said, minor :)

Loving this mod so far.

Minor issue though, I'm trying to upgrade the processor, and whenever I have a Kerbal grab the processor, it is upside-down on the Kerbal's pack. Now at first when I removed the old one I figured this was no big deal.

Then I put the new one in, and it stayed in that position. It is henceforth buried inside the processor mount and service bays. Now if I try to remove the new one, the craft encounters a spontaneous disassembly event. The experiment modules move via Kerbal just fine, though. Not sure if it is a problem with the part or a problem with KAS.

Here's some pictures, courtesy of my ground-side EVA testbed:

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p682/Imperial528/screenshot112_zpsccd76eaa.png~original

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p682/Imperial528/screenshot113_zps141d7fcb.png~original

Edited by Imperial528

Loving this mod so far.

Minor issue though, I'm trying to upgrade the processor, and whenever I have a Kerbal grab the processor, it is upside-down on the Kerbal's pack. Now at first when I removed the old one I figured this was no big deal.

Then I put the new one in, and it stayed in that position. It is henceforth buried inside the processor mount and service bays. Now if I try to remove the new one, the craft encounters a spontaneous disassembly event. The experiment modules move via Kerbal just fine, though. Not sure if it is a problem with the part or a problem with KAS.

Here's some pictures, courtesy of my ground-side EVA testbed:

Just had this happen. I too, stupidly wondering where the processor had gone, attempted to 'release' it and it exited through the wall, through the probe core (bang) and dislodging the docking port I had put at the back (pop).

Sort of related, I wish there was a little warning about proximity to the sun, or a high-tech aperture that shut down when it was about to blow up.

All the same, I love the mod too. Kinda makes me wish there was a UI for viewing pictures taken with it, to browse in pride. I'm also looking forward to Hullcam's 'camera-in-window' feature being discussed over there.

Edit: Sent up a probe core to attach, to make the telescope functional again. Set it up for testing, pointed at the Mun, and it decided that it didn't like the processor being upside down, and refused to work. Now I've got a very large piece of debris in Kerbin orbit!

Edited by GavinZac

Kraken seems to really enjoy the telescope.

I have one launched on 300 km polar orbit and every time I timewarp even a little, it ends up in a cloud of debris. Every (or almost every) single part just flies away separately, without even an explosion.

What gives? I've never ever had those issues before, even ships connected with KAS pipes are still where they were after a month of operations.

EDIT: okay, this is freaking weird.

On timewarp, I can see something else appearing inside the root part of the vessel (any vessel in stable orbit) when timewarp is active. And that is a greenhouse module from LLL.

Landed and ascent vessels are okay.

Last mods I got were CactEye, Hullcam and Distant object.

Beats me what happened there but.. any help?

EDIT2: Game works fine after deletion of those 3 mods.

Edited by Queril

Kraken seems to really enjoy the telescope.

I have one launched on 300 km polar orbit and every time I timewarp even a little, it ends up in a cloud of debris. Every (or almost every) single part just flies away separately, without even an explosion.

What gives? I've never ever had those issues before, even ships connected with KAS pipes are still where they were after a month of operations.

EDIT: okay, this is freaking weird.

On timewarp, I can see something else appearing inside the root part of the vessel (any vessel in stable orbit) when timewarp is active. And that is a greenhouse module from LLL.

Landed and ascent vessels are okay.

Last mods I got were CactEye, Hullcam and Distant object.

Beats me what happened there but.. any help?

EDIT2: Game works fine after deletion of those 3 mods.

Distant Object had a bug that would eat ships like that -- something is wrong with the rendering of unloaded vessels. Make sure you update to v1.2, it should be stable.

Edited by Rubber Ducky

Sounds like some incompatibility with KAS -- I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

I think your right, I just updated to the new version of KAS and had the same problem with the 180 rotated processor. Does not appear to be a way to rotate it via right click menu, maybe a button binding in the new KAS or something. I'll play around with it some more and see what I can figure out.

OK not sure how much this is going to help... KAS includes a debug console (CTL+K) Using that I made the following changes:

evaPartDiry = -500 evaPartDirz = 100 (x was left 0) and this made the processor unit look like it's on the Kerbals back pretty well. However I tried using these same values for dropPartRot and it wasn't correct (read: telescope explodie! )...

Luckily I've quicksaved... trying again

Uhg, I just don't understand the xyz of unity or something.... Quick and dirty forget the -500 -1 worked it just looked like the processor was partially inside his helmet.

Still haven't figured out the correct way of getting the thing into the mount.

Edited by rottielover

Zee Fix!

OK I have NO idea how to make a module manager file, so for those of us that need to complete a service mission NOW here's what you need to do!

In your part.cfg for the processor mount, edit the line: " node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0 "

In the part.cfg's for the processors, edit the line: " evaPartDir = (0,-1,0) " This line is under the "KASModuleGrab" module section.

This should get you going until the official fixes are out.

For those interested:

The first edit "flips" the attach node for the mount to the processor 180 degrees around, for some reason KAS isn't accepting or is ignoring the bay rotation, so unless the attach node is "facing" the right way, forgetaboutit.

The 2nd edit is more cosmetic than anything, it flips the processors so that they are upright on the kerbals backs when in EVA.

I haven't tried it yet but the ModuleManager config to make those changes would look like:

@PART[tele_mount]{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
}
@PART[tele_processor_*]{
@MODULE[KASModuleGrab]{
@evaPartDir = (0,-1,0)
}
}

Edit: Yes this works fine. Should work as a stop-gap until the mod is updated.

Edit: slight correction. It was late.

Edited by GavinZac

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.