Resource to Volume data

Sarge18

Is there a location/discussion that provides resource quantity to volume calculations? I.e. - we know that LF and Oxi are a 45:55 ratio - but I do not know how much LF will fit in a cubic meter. Same with water, O2, CO2, etc (using the TAC Mod).

The reason why I'm asking this is to develop realistic fuel quantities available for a particular model. I've been using Wings3D and Blender - no issues in UV mapping, or importing - I just can't for the life of me work backwards from existing models to figure out how much fuel should be in the tanks.

I'm very new to modelling, and to mod development in general. I've been poring through posts and other searches through the Internet, and have not found this data yet.

Thanks!

Jed

Depends. Is your model a single pressure vessel in which only one resource will reside, or is it like the KSP tanks, where they're actually the outer shell, inside which are multiple (two, for rocket fuel tanks) actual tanks.

Point two: you need a conversion ratio between m^3 and KSP Volume Units (KVU). Based off LF/Ox mass and volume estimations, I am of the opinion (and MFS uses the ratio) of 1 KVU = 5 liters (1/200 m^3).

Point three: resource densities are provided for all resources; check GameData/Squad/Resources/Resources.cfg for the definitions. Stock, both LF and Oxi have a density of 0.005t / KVU, or (per above) 1 ton / m^3, aka 1 g/cc.

My rule of thumb is that if it's a tank like the Rockomax or FL-T line, approximately 80% of the volume of the cylinder is the actual tank volume.

Put all this together. Let's say your tank is going to hold LF and Oxi. For that reason the "tank" you're modeling is actually a (part of a) rocket stage, with internal pressure vessels. Let's say the volume of the model is 4 cubic meters. (1.25 x 3.25m). That means it has 4 * 0.8 * 200 KVU of useable volume, or 640 units. That means 288 LF, 352 Oxi.

Thanks - I think that will work. The KVU part I hadn't found yet. I'd been looking at the "real" volume (i.e. - single vs. double pressure vessel and the loss of volume with shell and internal structure).

That conversion ratio was something I wasn't achieving by digging apart the configs and figuring out potential volumes based on stock components and mods - and of course, some mods are just a SWAG.

Greatly appreciate it - going to use this to relook capacities in some of my tanks.

Jed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.