Eve Launch simulation

Throttle control isn't going to mimic higher gravity and more atmosphere. It will just make the fuel your carrying last longer. I suppose you could work it all out that if you throttle at 70% and assume the tanks are dry when they have 23% of their starting fuel left or something...

I shouldn't have started this reply, I'm off, cya and good luck.

If you're very good at maths and fancy sitting down and solving equations, I suppose yeah...

Easier to either use hyperedit and just shove the craft onto Eve or use the Engineer redux when building and set it to give you a readout for Eve.

I believe you need from 7,000 to 11,000 delta v to escape, depending on height above 'sea' level of the starting point.

The best way to simulate it is simulating it within the game which simulate it by sending your craft to eve via HyperEdit. Because... really - this game is simulating "real" world, you can use it to simulate things in simulated "real" world.

I tried doing this with .cfg-modded parts when Eve first came on the scene. I changed the drag of each part to 5 times normal, and mass by 1.7 times to account for the different atmospheric density and gravity respectively. The idea was then to launch the test flight from KSC.

However I soon learned that physics doesn't work like that. Put as simply as possible, by increasing the mass by 1.7 times I also increased inertia by the same factor IIRC. This would not simulate Eve ascent properly, as the 'Eve Simulation Parts' would have greater mass than the actual rocket (and thus a much lower delta-v budget). Increasing drag by a factor of 5 was also fruitless, as Eve's atmosphere is larger than Kerbin's anyway.

So unfortunately I can't give you the answer you're after, but I can add something that doesn't work.

EDIT: As others say, HyperEdit is probably the easiest way for you to do this. Then just use trial and error. KER is also an invaluable tool.

Hyperedit is pretty much the only simple way to do this.

I did use extraplanetary launchpads tweaked to not need resources for a bit to give me a 'VAB' on eve for some tests. But I had to send the damn launchpad there anyway...

Just hyperedit it.

Not really. Since that craft would be gaining its 11kms dV from an orbit. So all engines running in vacuum, the isp values for atmosphere are lower and therefore more fuel to get the same dV. Plus from orbit gravity and drag are not fighting you, you even get oberth effect to boost you.

a vessel capable of 11kms dV in space wouldnt be nearly enough

Atmo Isp will be lower, but 11 km/s is a good start; fair chance it's enough. You've actually got a bit more than 11 km/s vacuum if you can speed up by 11 km/s, because contra celem, gravity does fight you as soon as prograde points above the horizon.

Make sure your TWR is high enough. I don't know how you would test that without using the dreaded mathematics though.

gravity does fight you as soon as prograde points above the horizon.

perhaps its the way this game models manouever nodes or something. But i always forget we dont insta-accelerate, he's quite right, you are climbing up the gravity well anyway the moment you pass periaps

Eve ascent takes between two and three times the delta-v that Kerbin ascent requires, and Eve has 1.7 times the gravity as well. So, in the spirit of making a test that is too hard (ie., over engineering), try the following: build a craft that is capable of taking off from Kerbin, reaching orbit, and then landing three times while never using more than 60% throttle.

This isn't by any means a perfect test, but it will give you an idea of the requirements without the need to edit your .cfg files.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.