Orbital Strike Class Single Stage to Orbit Fighter - Gradius Mk. VI. - [w/ Mechjeb]

I've decided that this fighter is so freaking epic, it deserves it's own thread.

This fighter is designed to reach orbit in a single stage, rendezvous with it's target, destroy it, and then de-orbit and return to base. It is able to reach deep space with it's solar powered ion drives, however, keeping power may be an issue. In atmosphere, it is powered by twin turbojet engines, and in vacuum, a single aerospike rocket engine. The craft also carries Xenon gas and solar powered ion drives, and RCS maneuvering thrusters for closing in on it's target. The design has been further improved with 4x COT Junior Hardpoints for docking service modules to the ship itself. This model is also equipped with 2 XCom communications jamming satellites which add an element of stealth to it's repetoire when they are deployed.

SSTO Flight Profile:

- Press "1" to activate Turbojets and "T" to activate ASAS.

- Full throttle down the runway while pulling up, she will eventually lift her nose once she's at about 95 - 100 m/s.

- Gently pitch up to 45 and climb.

- Level to about 20-25 at 12.5km altitude, gently climb and build speed to 1300 m/s.

- Once jets start to flame out at 27-28 km altitude (they'll give you lots of advance warning), press "2" to close the intakes and activate the aerospike engine.

- Gently pitch back up to about 30 and climb out of the atmosphere, build apoapsis to 80km.

- Plant maneuver node at Apoapsis and plan your orbit.

- Coast to Apoapsis maneuver node, circularize your orbit.

Here's a quick video showing a weapons test against an unmanned target drone. Test was for accuracy, not damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUwoqn30iOo

How to fire the missiles: First, deactivate the rocket engine and (if you have them on) the ion engines. After that, arm your missiles with 5, 7, and 9. Throttle up to 100%, and then press 6, 8, and 0 to fire them. They are extremely long range, you could probably bombard Duna's surface with them if you can get the launch trajectory right. I've set the engines so that the missiles will rotate when they are fired, making them more accurate.

Now for the beauty shots!!

1466174_10152057607761815_1673283225_n.jpg

With XCOM Communication Satellites activated while still attached to the ship.

1472778_10152057607826815_1016639103_n.jpg

After deploying one of the XCOM Communication Satellites.

After much research and development, a long range Interplanetary Vehicle and a Launch Stage have been developed, allowing the range of this ship to be increased exponentially!! The carrier for this was inspired by the carrier used for

Due to lack of testing, it's current range is unknown, but based on the video comparison, it should be able to reach Laythe.

996742_10152059876561815_1656825488_n.jpg

1461133_10152059875726815_131360614_n.jpg

996785_10152059878011815_1293704209_n.jpg

1477950_10152059878896815_1927598454_n.jpg

As you can see, once your destination is reached, it's extremely easy to ditch the transfer vehicle and pull away.

Control groups for the Gradius itself:

1 - Toggle Turbojets

2 - Toggle Intakes and Aerospike

3 - Toggle Solar Panels

4 - Toggle Ion Engines

5 - Arm first pair of missiles

6 - Fire first pair of missiles

7 - Arm second pair of missiles

8 - Fire second pair of missiles

9 - Arm third pair of missiles

0 - Fire third pair of missiles.

Download link: Click here!! Gradius Mk. VI SSTO Requires Mechjeb.

I'll upload a link to the carrier and interplanetary transfer stage if there is interest for it.

::EDIT:: Here's the link for the launching platform and interplanetary carrier stage for those who are interested in it.:Orbital Strike Class SSTO Gradius Mk. VI. Launch vehicle and interplanetary carrier stage.

Edited by speedboiae86
Added download link for launch vehicle and carrier stage

Looks really cool. I'm a bit confused on how the interplanetary part is attached? I see struts hooked up and unless it was launched that way I don't understand because of the way you explained how to get into orbit make me think that part was not attached during runway take-off.

Looks really cool. I'm a bit confused on how the interplanetary part is attached? I see struts hooked up and unless it was launched that way I don't understand because of the way you explained how to get into orbit make me think that part was not attached during runway take-off.

The interplanetary engines are attached via large structural I-Beams which are attached to decouplers on the wings. Launching with the interplanetary engines required me to strap a giant rocket underneath them and strut the hell out of it to keep the whole thing stable during the launch.

If you want, I'll put up a download link for the interplanetary version. Launching that is pretty simple, just go up straight up until about 12.5 km, then gradually turn over to 45 degrees. By the time you're out of the atmosphere, build your apoapsis to 80x80, and you're good to go. The launch stage has more than enough fuel to get you to low kerbin orbit.

::EDIT:: Launch vehicle and interplanetary carrier download link added to OP.

Edited by speedboiae86

"Gradius"

"Could probably bombard Duna's surface"

Do I detect a Macey Dean fan?

You do, my friend, you do... Man I wish he would come back. A lot of my designs are based off of his work. You'll notice the transfer stage is similar to the one used for the Isprit Squadron. If he ever comes back, I'm submitting this for the Spiritwolf side from Spartan 300 Industries.

So... has anyone downloaded this and given it a test flight?

Edited by speedboiae86

So the latest test of the Gradius's Interplanetary stage has now confirmed, this fighter can now indeed reach Laythe with smart piloting. I took an exploratory trip out there last night, just a propaganda trip to low Laythe orbit mind you.

1467428_10152066369601815_1641532073_n.jpg

Going over final schematics with the ascent stage.

1468613_10152066358406815_838013149_n.jpg

Liftoff!! Next stop, LKO.

561631_10152066359496815_1619703859_n.jpg

Enjoying a magnificent sunrise over Kerbin while cruising up to apoapsis.

993808_10152066366836815_1906085283_n.jpg

Firing up the Atomic engines on the interplanetary stage, escaping Kerbin's SOI.

1477809_10152066366601815_423395786_n.jpg

Hanging out in solar orbit, waiting for my optimal transfer window.

1454545_10152066383441815_1779501517_n.jpg

18 minute burn time? No sweat! :D

1456593_10152066389596815_1474985697_n.jpg

High transfer orbit at Jool, on my way to Laythe.

1454838_10152066382526815_1631451067_n.jpg

Sitting in low Laythe orbit, all the transfer fuel is nearly gone at this point, so it's time to eject.

1476475_10152066392336815_567245613_n.jpg

Interplanetary stage ejected, drinking deep in Laythe's violet serenity. Trip complete.

That looks cool. Does it have enough fuel to get home?

I haven't tried yet, but signs point to no unless I can find a way to refuel the interplanetary engines. If I decided to land the Gradius on Laythe's surface, take off, and make orbit again, the answer would be a definite "no" without an interplanetary carrier ship to dock too. One could try, and believe me, I would love it if someone did. I'm sure there's a lot of pilots out there who are better than I am. I believe if someone did try to pilot the Gradius back to Kerbin from Laythe, the last leg of the journey would be on the ion drives and monopropellant.

You do, my friend, you do... Man I wish he would come back. A lot of my designs are based off of his work. You'll notice the transfer stage is similar to the one used for the Isprit Squadron. If he ever comes back, I'm submitting this for the Spiritwolf side from Spartan 300 Industries.

So... has anyone downloaded this and given it a test flight?

I hate to join the "he's dead" conspiracy theorists, but what do you think happened to him?

I hate to join the "he's dead" conspiracy theorists, but what do you think happened to him?

I don't know... and I really don't want to jump to any conclusions in this thread. This thread is for the Gradius, and I've seen other threads get locked for trying to figure out what happened to poor Macey. All I'm saying is, if you're out there Macey, and you're reading this, please give us some sort of sign that you're okay. You've left a giant hole in the community that none of can fill as well as you can.

So I thought to myself, how can I utilize the topside docking ports on the top of the Gradius? The answer... modular support units!! This is the first test of the Heavy Torpedo Assault Unit, similar to the Torpedo Assault Unit on the Phoenix Mk. XI.

1526569_10152073077491815_396414000_n.jpg

The heavy torpedoes consist of a stack separator, Jr. size docking port, a couple of structural girders, a couple of seperatrons twisted 5 degrees on either side, a small fuel tank, and a structural nose cone. The ballistic principle that the heavy torpedoes are designed with allow them to be quite accurate. Although not as a long range as the standard torpedoes on the fighter itself, they pack quite a punch when they hit.

::UPDATE:: Weapons test video uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5qT75VRFkQ

Edited by speedboiae86
Heavy Torpedo Modular Assault Unit test video uploaded.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.