Alternis Kerbol - Development thread

NovaSilisko

Nova: you could startup at mainmenu but only do the changing during the loading screen between there and spacecenter? By that time you should be able to detect the savegame title (it must be kept somewhere in HighLogic).

Also, have you messed with AtmosphereFromGround in .23? According to test reports the way RSS was changing it doesn't work in .23, and I've been busy enough with MFS I haven't dug yet to find out how it changed. You'd save me a good few hours digging, if you've found how it changed in .23 and let me know. :)

It's already instantiated at mainmenu, I guess I can try poking around to see if it lists the save name anywhere. I could scan for a specific phrase in the name, like "Alternis", and then set the system accordingly.

I've got literally no idea how AtmosphereFromGround works, really. All I remember from working with it properly is that it was absolute pain to make it do more than just sit down and shut up. Visual atmo height is seemingly directly tied to the radius of the planet. Scaling the atmosphere object doesn't work, it just breaks.

Nova: Re: saves. Explored; it's HighLogic.CurrentGame.Title :)

Re: AFG. Ah, I and Starwaster can walk you through it then if you want, at least as of .22; haven't dug into any .23 changes yet. There's a default somewhere-around-1.025x scalar used, but you can override it. Check the AtmosphereFromGround code in RSS; Starwaster even wrote a GUI so you can play with it in realtime.

Err, well, on a .22 copy of KSP. ;)

Nova: Re: saves. Explored; it's HighLogic.CurrentGame.Title :)

Re: AFG. Ah, I and Starwaster can walk you through it then if you want, at least as of .22; haven't dug into any .23 changes yet. There's a default somewhere-around-1.025x scalar used, but you can override it. Check the AtmosphereFromGround code in RSS; Starwaster even wrote a GUI so you can play with it in realtime.

Err, well, on a .22 copy of KSP. ;)

Hmm. Well, give me a poke if anything comes of the deciphering of the .23 version. I'll just live with the existing one for now. I'll check out and see if I can listen for the game trying to load a save, and only then shifting the solar system (IF the save name contains "Alternis")

I really hope this mod gets to a released state. It's beautiful, and I'd love to see just what can be done with a slightly re-skinned Kerbol system (well, at elast, right now it seems to be slightly re-skinned and rearranged, might not stay that way).

I do wish I could figure out a way to make it save-specific, however. That way, if you wanted to switch back to the vanilla system you could just switch saves.

This is what I had in mind. It wouldn't exist with the Kerbal Solar System, but It would build into the Kerbal universe. It's just an alternate way to play KSP, but this time under a different name: perhaps "Primar Space Conquest" and with a less mundane star system.

This is what I had in mind. It wouldn't exist with the Kerbal Solar System, but It would build into the Kerbal universe. It's just an alternate way to play KSP, but this time under a different name: perhaps "Primar Space Conquest" and with a less mundane star system.

Really, the 'Primar' idea is going a little far. This mod is to make changes with the planets in KSP, not to make an entire expansion.

Hmm. Well, give me a poke if anything comes of the deciphering of the .23 version. I'll just live with the existing one for now. I'll check out and see if I can listen for the game trying to load a save, and only then shifting the solar system (IF the save name contains "Alternis")

Will do. I'm sure it's just I'm not grabbing the right objects, since looking at the public vars in VS shows the class looks basically identical to that in .22.

If you're quick, you can probably do it during the load screen so the view in spacecenter is correct?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.