KerbalCon feature-complete talk - Can you please turn this into a blog post/article?

chaos_forge

Seems pretty self-explanatory. Scope complete means all the bare bones of the game exist, the basic engine features and so on, whereas feature complete is more of a content thing, like more planets, more biomes, better graphics/effects, new parts, every tweakable you could ever want, everything perfectly balanced and playtested etc. etc. Once the game is scope complete, they can work on all those little things that everybody wants, but aren't major priorities right now.

Squad wants to get the game scope complete this next year, so basically by 2015 we'll see all the aspects of the game implemented at least at a basic level (or so they hope). So career mode will have the three currencies implemented, for example, instead of just the one, though maybe there won't be all the experiments and such that will be in the final game. Multiplayer will exist, though may not be polished. I got the impression that resources aren't dead, per say, so we might see some basic implementation of that, too.

Edited by mrxak

The sad news is that resources are not going to be in the game as shown around 0.19 :( They are considered to be too complicated. Kethane it is...

Yup, not the first decision they've made that I've disagreed with. The game's still fun, but I'll miss this.

Yup, not the first decision they've made that I've disagreed with. The game's still fun, but I'll miss this.

I don't think that feature is dead, but what we will eventually get will be much more simplified over what they first teased. I certainly think in the short term, they'll get some backlash over that announcement, though, so I hope they clarify and hopefully that will calm everyone down.

Although it is nice to have a more definite devs opinion on the matter, I'd rather trade the MP for a thorough recourse system... just my humble opinion. I respect those who really want MP, but for me KSP is a single player game. Oh well, maybe in the far future it will be added as an expansion. Hopefully mods like Kethane or TAC life support will make things more daunting on that terrain in the near future.

Edited by Galileo Kerbonaut

The way I see it, Squad not developing the complex resource system means that modders are free to blow Kethane out of the water all on their own. If I had the slightest bit of 3D modeling or texturing skill, I'd try my hand at making such a mod the moment 0.24 rolls around and the economy is introduced (thereby making such a system actually worth developing for something besides just refueling and exoplanetary launchpads; we have both already through two very good mods).

I'd like to see a mod with realistic resources (no fake names!) -- something that could be used with Real Solar System to replicate in-situ resource utilization on the Moon and Mars. I think maybe I've been reading the nasaspaceflight.com forums too much lately.

I'd like to see a mod with realistic resources (no fake names!) -- something that could be used with Real Solar System to replicate in-situ resource utilization on the Moon and Mars. I think maybe I've been reading the nasaspaceflight.com forums too much lately.

So... what are you waiting for?

I don't know what your skill set looks like, but regardless, I've seen a number of projects in which the lead doesn't know the first thing about coding, and I know of at least one who doesn't code or model. He's simply the "ideas guy". If you put some serious thought into a proposal, people will often sign-on.

I don't know what your skill set looks like, but regardless, I've seen a number of projects in which the lead doesn't know the first thing about coding, and I know of at least one who doesn't code or model. He's simply the "ideas guy". If you put some serious thought into a proposal, people will often sign-on.

Relevant to this: I have decided to see if I can rouse up a team to help me make a complex resource system for KSP a reality. You can see the thread for it here. Any modders who want to help make this vision a reality, please stop by!

are you serious

The main game's focus has to stay on the average player. Those of us who are highly skilled are left to rely on mods to fill in the gaps in the experience. Hence my efforts to assemble a modding team that can tackle the problem by making a comprehensive resource mod.

Originally Posted by Galileo Kerbonaut View Post

They are considered to be too complicated.

are you serious

Dead serious... I heard Harvester say it on the live stream, but it has been edited out in the podcast version. Around 4:20 - 4:23 you can hear him say: "I think we covered the whole part on scope and resources"... that's all there is left of that statement.

I swear he said something along the lines of: the resource tree is too complicated for new players and will only add value for highly advanced players. Dropping this idea apparently opened up the road for the science-tree as it is currently implemented.

He DID say this... please back me up up if you heard it also. (There were about 1500 viewers... I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard this)

Dead serious... I heard Harvester say it on the live stream, but it has been edited out in the podcast version. Around 4:20 - 4:23 you can hear him say: "I think we covered the whole part on scope and resources"... that's all there is left of that statement.

I swear he said something along the lines of: the resource tree is to complicated for new players and will only add value for highly advanced players. Dropping this idea opened up the road for the science-tree as it is currently implemented.

He DID say this... please back me up up if you heard it also. (There were about 1500 viewers... I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard this)

Very much hoping you misheard. If not...

I used to be a modeler many years ago on a realism mod of the Battlefield 1942 mod called Desert Combat. After that I worked on a Red Orchestra mod that never really took off called Mare Nostrum. I know enough from those experiences that it's rare for an "ideas guy" to gain much traction.

Have you heard of KSP Interstellar?

I've heard of it, but I'm a little turned off by the more sci-fi elements.

Very much hoping you misheard. If not...

he heard it correctly, they pretty much dropped the resource system, 'cause it's "not fun" for noobs, and what there is no way to master game fast (IDK did they heard 'bout MechJeb? I personally used it like a year or so, and just build ships)

so yes, it's disappointment, so you can now freely write down your previous thoughts on "complex resource system"

KSP kinda is inherently hard for "noobs" to pick up on at first, when you first play the game there IS quite alot of information thrown at your face :P. You have no real context with what to do with anything at the start, and usually the only way to build said context is with brutal and frustrating trial and error. I don't see how a Resource system would confuse noobs, it would only expand the game. This is something the community as a whole has wanted ever since you first hinted at it in .19, and really even before that with the benefits of mods like Kethane, so why would it seemingly die off for such a strange reason? :huh:

Edited by (An Original Name)

The original resource system that was described near the beginning of the year seemed overly complicated to me and my original impression seems to mirror what Harvester was saying. It sounds like it would add a lot of busy work and management without adding much actual gameplay. I am a big fan of the Kethane mod and i get the impression this is more the direction the group will take when they decide it is time to be implemented.

Dont forget that they psuedo-confirmed female Kerbals in the last stream. Biggest Kon news IMO!

Since Twitch has been having so many problems, and since for many people reading an article is easier than watching a video, can we get a written summary/synopsis of the feature-complete talk on the forums please?

I second this. I've watched a couple of videos but I don't have time to watch the whole KerbalKon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.