Multiplayer or resources ?

Alephzorg

Multiplayer or resources, which one do you want most?  

1. 1. Multiplayer or resources, which one do you want most?

• Multiplayer
    • Resources

Can't we have the option for both? So development ends up taking longer, we're used to long gaps between releases :)

Long gaps? I remember Minecraft not being updated for 5 months or so.

Voted for resources. Would be fun to have them first.

Edited by Veeltch

Look at the popularity of kethane and then look at the popularity of KMP. And then tell me more people desire multiplayer.

This does not mean anything. It is like asking what form of transportation is more desired based on the fact that more people have road in a car than a Soyuz. The KMP mod is much younger and a lot less stable than Kethane, so therefore more people are going to use Kethane. In conclusion, I find your complete argument is invalid.

I hope Squad change their minds on this. Resources are wanted by the community as this poll shows.

No it does not. There are 98,154 members and 5,825 active members on the forum but only 250 or so votes on this poll. There are only two options and for all you know a majority of people didn't vote because there wasn't an option for them. Resources are wanted by a tiny minority of people that bothered to answer the poll.

Edited by dr_jt

No it does not. There are 98,154 members and 5,825 active members on the forum but only 250 or so votes on this poll. There are only two options and for all you know a majority of people didn't vote because there wasn't an option for them. Resources are wanted by a tiny minority of people that bothered to answer the poll.

Like any polling a small portion will answer a question. Like political polling, polls are a sample and almost always reflect what the larger community wants.

Like any polling a small portion will answer a question. Like political polling, polls are a sample and almost always reflect what the larger community wants.

That isn't necessarily true, as political polling (and, really, any purportedly official/scientific polling) is far more random. Yes, people who are contacted for those polls still have the option of declining to answer, but most people, if directly asked, will respond to a polling question. Political polling works because the sample is determined (mostly) randomly from a very large sample population, and can therefore be effectively extrapolated to the general population with a small margin of error.

On the other hand, responding to this poll requires that a KSP player (1) Have a forum account, (2) Actually be active with that account, (3) Be interested enough in the thread's content to read it, and (4) Care enough about the poll question to respond to it. Consequently, the sample population is very much not randomly selected, and thus can't be effectively applied to the entire playerbase. As a result, the poll shows that, among people who meet all of the above criteria to participate in the poll, most of them favor resources over multiplayer. But it doesn't really show anything other than that.

/statisticsrant

As for myself, I picked Resources as well, but I'm not overly zealous in my position. I have no interest whatsoever in multiplayer, at all, period. I would like to eventually see something that opens up surface installations on other celestial bodies more engaging, whether that is resources or something else, but I am also strongly in the camp of "Whatever it is shouldn't punish players with a lower level of mastery of the game." SQUAD stated that the resource model as they had originally conceived it was proving to be, simply, not fun. I don't see any reason to include not-fun in the game. I do hope they find a model that is fun, but I'm glad to hear that they aren't shoehorning in a system that doesn't deliver what the game, and really any game, should be all about.

I'd rather have resources, but that isn't to say I don't want multiplayer too. For me the main thing resources would do is make the planets more interesting, which KSP sorely needs - though I do see Squad's argument that the resources system as planned would require players to have mastered much of the game's mechanics before seeing any return, which really isn't what you want.

though I do see Squad's argument that the resources system as planned would require players to have mastered much of the game's mechanics before seeing any return, which really isn't what you want.

i personally think is a very bad excuse, while i can see the resource tree pic being simplyfied, most of the mechanics involved wont be very different of science

unless science is too hard for players, then why is in?

I am sick of multiplayer games.

I just opened up my steam library and sorted by date. Of the last twenty games I played, seventeen of those have multiplayer. Almost ALL of them have a sufferable single-player experience. I don't want to play with friends, I don't WANT to meet new people, I want to sit down, play a game, and not have to worry about the other people playing in the same world. When I multiplayer, especially in the 'start a server and play snadbox with others,' it typically ends up with me playing alongside others, rather than with them.

It makes. Games. Weaker. It's the plague along with microtransactions and app-speak that's infected gaming, trying to scrabble for every scrap of the market that they can. Make your game good, and people will come. Do this sort of stuff, and you begin to walk the road to where your game is the same generic boatload of junk that I can get anywhere.

Please don't do that.

'i personally don't like multiplayer games, therefore they are all a scourge to gaming!'

'i personally don't like multiplayer games, therefore they are all a scourge to gaming!'

the detail than everygame now a days seems to have multiplayer, even if the concept doesnt work well outside of a single player experience IS a problem in gaming today, and i am sure i am not the only one who think KSP falls in that

Theres absolutely no way you can make this claim based on those results.

the detail than everygame now a days seems to have multiplayer, even if the concept doesnt work well outside of a single player experience IS a problem in gaming today, and i am sure i am not the only one who think KSP falls in that

i admit that there are some games where multiplayer is just a waste of time, but stargate seemed to be implying that multiplayer, as a concept, was just a marketing gimmick; which, as someone who enjoys playing more multiplayer focused games, i found quite demeaning.

It may help to keep in mind that Resources were pushed back in order to work on Career Mode, not on Multiplayer. Also, that they were pushed back for review, not cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised if Resources (in some streamlined form compared to the overly-complex flowchart shenanigans seen before) will be implemented in Career Mode before Multiplayer is begun, because it would benefit Multiplayer: as the game stands now, there's not an awful lot to do in KSP that would benefit from having multiple people there at the same time. Having a Resource system might allow people to work together as surveyors, miners, transporters etc.

Not in this case. It's like asking the question: "When you die do you what it to be by: A. Gun shot in the face? B. Dogs eating you to death?" The only conclusions you gain from that are that the majority of people answering want to die in one of those ways. It in no way reflects how the larger population of people want to die. This poll is the same type of poll.

I feel that multiplayer is just a tacked-on feature in most games now, and the logistics for it are complicated and annoying, the synchronization needed for maintaining the same universe between players is annoying, the already poor performance of KSP tanks when I go within 2.5 km of another player(That bit might just be my computer). And if it were added, then it should be after the full game is released. Resources could add a ton more content, with bases becoming more viable, we might get an actual purpose for infrastructure. Multiplayer doesn't add much but the ability to dock to your friends spacecraft, whoopee. Resources adds more long term goals, and has real content, instead of fluff.

Theres absolutely no way you can make this claim based on those results.

How so? There are almost 6000 active members. Only about 250 bothered to answer the poll which is a tiny minority of the whole. Of those 250 the majority want resources. I stand by my statement. Besides the poll is invalid with only two questions.

Resources. They are pushing career to try and give a goal-driven alternative to the sandbox. Some gamers just dont do sandbox, im one, i run out of ideas without having challenges/milestones to complete. (yes, mods and challenge forum rock, but it should be built-in as many players wont ever reach the forums). A fully-fledged resource system gives no end of tasks to complete, surveying, handling extraction/processing and logistics.

Resources provide the biggest playability boost for me. I would also say that the resource mods available, while great, are too shallow for the level of realism ksp provides thus far. I want a more in-depth production chain than ore->metal->parts / kethane-> fuel, done.

Multiplayer in my eyes caters to 2 crowds. Those who want the minecraft style sandbox, playing alongside and interacting with their friends creations, and people who play militarised KSP. Im not much up for either and feel increased depth to the SP game is more deserving of attention. Replayability tends to skyrocket with MP however, I wouldnt want to exclude it

Edited by celem

That is a hard choice to make, but I choose multiplayer. Without one vs another dilemma the way to go would certainly be both.

Before you bring the pitchforks and torches, let me explain.

The way I see it, multiplayer gaming multiplies the possibilities by each person playing at the same time.

Resources might be fun at the start, but once you get all the resources, in all the planets/moons?

Just like science, once you complete it all, there's not much to do (at least in my opinion).

You might start to get bored of it, but in multiplayer there are almost no limits.

What will it be, orbital battles with friends, vs landing on a planet to mine some rocks and make fuel?

I pick the first choice, no problem with me if you pick the latter.

Edited by cesarcurado