Trying to translate right, instead I am translating diagonally.

F13C7C143D2B32763C8A103592772991B2E6FD1D

70FB5DDC5A3283C34B4D911A29BE50E4854F21BA

I am just running vanilla KSP. I have tried turning on sas, adding asas, going into chase view and pushing caps lock. I have also made sure that I have my thrusters on the center of mass. Lastly I am pushing L to translate right. Is this working as intended?

Edited by DaddyCabinet

Looks like it is working correctly. Because you have the RCS ports at 45deg to the cardinal directions, the diagonal thrusting is a sign that it is working perfectly. If you look carefully, the ports are doing the following:

/ ______
| / |\
|/ | \
____ \

____ /
|\ | /
| \ |/
\ ____

The forces pointing (lets say) fore and aft cancel out, leaving an overall left-ward motion. (excuse the quality of the arrows).

Edited by Chrisd857
try to improve my meaning

As others have said, the diagonaly movement comes from the RCS thruster block locations. I will however point out that having your RCS blocks on the 45 (And not on the cardinal) will cause you to use more RCS fuel for the same amount of movement. (Since all 4 RCS blocks must fire instead of the normal 2) If you are not adverse to mods I suggest the RCS build aid mod It shows you where your ship will go based on where your RCS thrusters are and what directional key you pressed (IJKLHN respectively) Very useful for balancing the RCS of large ships.

For future ease- If you want absolute easiest RCS controls in space, try pressing V (with default key bindings) a few times until you see "camera: chase."

Then, drag your point of view to the back of your craft. Now, instead of seeing the craft rotate with a static background, you'll basically control the craft from a fixed view while the background rotates. This means not only do the translation keys work as usual (ijkl), but I is now bound to down on the screen and navball, J is left on the screen and navball, etc. I never dock without doing this first!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.