Science lab - Science Jr.

Hi,

I'm just about to unlock the science lab and I want to make sure I use it correct.

I understand that I can do a crew report, EVA or surface sample, and "store" in a lander, then "take" from that lander and move into the science lab for a 100% transmit. The wiki page also says the science lab can be used on a mystery goo and Science Jr. How exactly do you move the science from these parts into a science lab?

Edited by technion

If I got it correctly, the Science Jr. is still the 'normal' Science Jr. I just unlocked it and I'm planning the next flight.

I can the see MPL / Mobile Processing Lab next in the tech tree. I suppose your describtion refers to the MPL?

The Science Jr. Material Bay thingy is an experiment, we've had it since 0.22.

The Science Mobile Lab is the new thing. It has 3 main features:

1. If you process data with it, then transmit it, you'll get 15% more science for the transmission than you otherwise would.

2. Normally, Goo and Science Jr. bays are 1-shot deals. You either bring them home full or transmit them, after which they become useless. However, when connected (docked or direct) to the Mobile Lab, you can restore them to operation after transmitting them.

3. You can store data from any other experiment inside the Mobile Lab. So you could have the Mobile Lab in orbit and send down a lander with all the experiments on it. Run the experiments, dock the lander to the Mobile Lab, and have a Kerbal EVA and go to all the experiments. Once adjacent to an experiment, the Kerbal can take its data and carry it into the Mobile Lab. Then you can (supposedly) use the Mobile Lab to reactivate the experiment and send the lander back to get more stuff. At the end of the mission, recover the Mobile Lab with all the data in it.

The Science Jr. Material Bay thingy is an experiment, we've had it since 0.22.

The Science Mobile Lab is the new thing. It has 3 main features:

1. If you process data with it, then transmit it, you'll get 15% more science for the transmission than you otherwise would.

2. Normally, Goo and Science Jr. bays are 1-shot deals. You either bring them home full or transmit them, after which they become useless. However, when connected (docked or direct) to the Mobile Lab, you can restore them to operation after transmitting them.

3. You can store data from any other experiment inside the Mobile Lab. So you could have the Mobile Lab in orbit and send down a lander with all the experiments on it. Run the experiments, dock the lander to the Mobile Lab, and have a Kerbal EVA and go to all the experiments. Once adjacent to an experiment, the Kerbal can take its data and carry it into the Mobile Lab. Then you can (supposedly) use the Mobile Lab to reactivate the experiment and send the lander back to get more stuff. At the end of the mission, recover the Mobile Lab with all the data in it.

Dang, that's going to require a redesign of my landers to have equipment kerbal-accessible.

I think the science lab is a step in the right direction, but at what point will it get expensive to deploy a lab, store the data , and then reciver the lab back on Kerbal for proccessing the data at full value? I guess until there is an economy function, it's going to be a lot of fun to do it this way.

So can the lab carry infinite experiments, EVA reports, crew reports and everything? Also, do you need to use kerbals on EVA to transfer data, or can it be transferred between docked ships like fuel?

EDIT: Apologies, I found my answers here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/62211-Is-the-processing-lab-actually-any-use-at-all%21/page2

Edited by MidwestB
Found answer elsewhere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.