Mutant Hero’s Millennium Falcon v1.0 [Stock][0.22]

Guest Space Cowboy

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

(Final parts count is 8 thanks to UbioZur Welding Limited / Weld It used during construction - not required for user)

Spaceport download (admin please delete the 2 duplicate entries with no picture - thanks!)

8vwq.png

http://youtu.be/EYQ1c22G6Uo

This project started 4 months ago http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50607-Space-Cowboy-s-Millenium-Falcon . I guess I have somewhere between 1 - 200 hours into it at this point, mostly due to computer specs and waiting, but also the fine editing and learning was tedious.

Edited by Guest

http://youtu.be/ahQAdp6PmB8

Improved physics is next. I have to keep the torque generators control authority high right now, because at full thrust, I want the SAS to maintain control. The COM is still off by inches (in scale) from the COT, and this requires the higher control authority. But the price is the extreme rigidity during low or zero thrust setting. I can fine tune the L/R COM by shifting weight small amounts. However, it takes 4-5 minutes for each iteration, as every time I weld a part, I must re-start KSP. Editing is very slow too. But I want realistic physics! I come this far so it will be a matter of time. Need to get some drag going too, I zeroed out angular drag but maybe that's what I want back. I could use an updated CFG Wiki if anyone out there has something equivalent.

Someone mentioned applying the internals of one command module for another. How would I do that in code? Edited by Guest

He walks into the SPH toward the Millennium Falcon, which

is parked among several fighters. Bill , Bob , and various

other kerbals hurry about. Jeb stops at the Millennium Falcon where his

Wookiee copilot, Chewbacca, is UbioZur Welding on a central lifter. Chewie

stops his work and lifts his face shield, growling an irritated

greeting to his boss.

JEB

Chewie!

The Wookiee grumbles a reply.

JEB

All right, don't lose your temper.

I'll come right back and give you

a hand.

Chewbacca puts his mask back on and returns to his UbioZur Welding as Jeb

leaves.

-Brilliant model! Your persistence and patience is showing awesome results. Well done! :cool:

You guys are reading my mind. Other have suggested the Cupola and I put it on but I puked at the exterior. V 2.0 will have the "Millenium Pod" mod and will somehow also have the Cupola internals, or I may fabricate a semi open cockpit including 4 Kerbal chairs. V 1.0 was mostly SPH editing learning. V 2.0 will be more direct part.cfg and craft editing learning. Keep the ideas and thoughts coming. I am also going to have concussion missles. That was actually working in my no welded Falcon, but it had issues I never allotted time to.

bombo1 I am gonna forego rcs for inertial guidance. to me it seems like that's what the Falcon had but I could be wrong....

Edited by Guest

V 2.0 hopefuls:

"Millennium Pod" ( a mod) but program Cupola internals

Eliminate engine smoke to vastly increase frame rate and increase "realism"

Reposition the main engines in a little - there is a gap sometimes between the ship and the exhaust.

Try to increase the diameter of flame since there are gaps.

Somehow "reduce textures". to increase frame rate

Scale down cockpit tube and Millenium Pod, as they are too large for what I have built

VTOL (very high priority ... am hoping to have two engine groups in one Weld It part - no idea how at this time)

Add the infinite power generator to power lights and inertia wheels

Perfectly matched COM and COT for both main and VTOL engines. In space with no assymetric drag, it should fly perfectly straight at full power without SAS. As a matter of fact, flight without SAS would be ideal at all times.

Add engine flaps to the exhaust (down scaled small flight controls)

Functioning landing gear, hopefully decent looking - may have to concede to using Damned Robotics or whatever for push / pull device

More detail added to ship / close in the areas around side tubes / angled metal / clean up distracting overlapping metal on the mandibles.

Correct all mass / drag / thrust "inaccuracies" for realistic depiction of mass and acceleration of original ship and rotation rates.

What else .... ?

Edited by Guest

Accidental discovery:

Comodo was killing my framerate. I uninstalled Comodo AV (for another separate issue) and tested out of curiosity - results are dramatic.

30 FPS baseline with 40 FPS peaks. No other changes. 10 FPS before removal of Comodo. Squad take note - Comodo and possibly other AV are framerate killers!

There is a possibility that altitude over the Mun has an effect but baseline 30 FPS throughout this flight.

http://youtu.be/wBmvGQBMVz0

Nice!!...I'm happy to see all your hard work has paid off...I know you've got a LOT of time and effort invested into this...The results are excellent so far!

I LUVS Star Wars stuff!

Accidental discovery:

Comodo was killing my framerate. I uninstalled Comodo AV (for another separate issue) and tested out of curiosity - results are dramatic.

30 FPS baseline with 40 FPS peaks. No other changes. 10 FPS before removal of Comodo. Squad take note - Comodo and possibly other AV are framerate killers!

I learned years ago that McAffee and Norton were absolutely the WORST at hogging resources, and affected my computer so bad, I couldnt run ANYTHING on it...

This is why I do most of my KSP playing on a separate, dual-boot Windows partition, with absolutely NOTHING else installed except absolutely necessary hardware and video drivers, and of course, KSP. No anti-virus, no firewall, no software, no networking and absolutely minimal system services running. (My regular Win7 install uses about 1.3-1.5GB RAM just sitting there, at IDLE...My streamlined Win7 install runs only about 529MB at idle, not to mention the huge difference in running handles and threads... :D)

Only downside is that I have to remember to disconnect the computer from the internet before booting up the KSP partition...

Edited by Stone Blue

My apologies - this new craft with physics tweaks isn't up yet, however, I will do it within 24 hours. I will also be reducing the pitch torque before I upload - I will `make a blurb here when that has been done - thanks

V 2.0 will have multiple cockpits welded as there is a lot of interest in the Cupola

Constructive interaction on this forum is incredibly motivating

Edited by Guest

I have gotten the physics narrowed down enough for a 1.1 release - however, I am going to balance the Falcon perfectly before I release another one. I have the torque cranked up too high right now only to compensate for and retain control of the unbalanced model. The third improvement will be construction of the domes - they will be done in a manner that uses L/R symmetry during construction. I am having construction issues in regards to detail with dome / side cylinder interaction, and detail. This will resolve that issue, as well as issues when adding engine steering flaps. If I have time I will work on the whole cockpit dilemma too (views).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.