So... about the science archives.

Themohawkninja

I noticed that the science archives tell out (out of 33) how many experiments were done on the planet. I've also noticed, that the Sun is included in this list, and it seems to state that there are 33 experiments that you can do with the Sun. That being said, am I supposed to get the inference that you can land and take samples of the Sun's surface (which to the best of my knowledge is impossible, as you get destroyed at about 1337 meters)?

Or is this just something that Squad didn't realize when making the science archives?

The 33 is the total number of experiments you have done. When it shows how many it's hiding, it means "out of your total 33 science experiments, we are hiding 31," meaning 2 relate to the subject you have selected.

I was confused as well until I noticed that the total kept increasing. Personally I think showing us the remaining number of science experiments would be pretty cool, but people would probably complain it was unrealistic.

The science archive only shows experiments you have ran at least once (whether you kept/transmitted the data or not). You have only ran 33 unique science experiments, it is not saying there are only 33 available. So when you are viewing the experiments for the sun, the number means you are viewing 0 completed experiments out of the total 33 you have ran at least once already. Not that you have completed 0 out of 33 experiments at the sun.

IMO the science archive should show every experiment possible, to help plan missions, but that just isn't how it works.

IMO the science archive should show every experiment possible, to help plan missions, but that just isn't how it works.

...yet. I would hope science is still very much a work in progress. Eventually I'd like the ability to see all of the possible science experiments as an end state, For example, when you start the game, you know Duna exists, but that's about it. Do a fly-by, and you can see a list of biomes, but no details on what experiments are possible. Not until you've actually landed a probe can you see all of the possible experiments in each biome.

Alternatively, it might be interesting if a mapping probe highlighted anomalies that would require specific tests to resolve, e.g. here's a spot on Duna that appears to have an anomaly in the magnetic field. Land a magnetometer there for bonus science, return a sample for even more.

Am I missing something, or does the Science Archives not show "Recovery of a Spacecraft that...." science awards? (Example: "Recovery of a spacecraft that survived a flight" or "Recovery of a spacecraft that returned from the surface of Minmus")

In order to take surface samples of the Sun without burning up, you need to land at night. (Sorry...old joke.)

Picky annoyance: When you select a planet in the Science Archive, the planet image begins to rotate...but it rotates the opposite direction from what a planet should.

Being able to see total experiments for an OCD person like me would be nice...I would be able to have more specific mission goals. I also would know when I was truly "done" with the game.

Being able to tell what biome your currently in would help to so I dont have to keep taking trial and error readings every 10 seconds.

Being able to see the whole TechTree would be nice too so people know what to research to get what they want.

Being able to see the whole TechTree would be nice too so people know what to research to get what they want.

I thought that too at first. Now I look at the tree from a Kerbal's point of view: They just don't know what new techs will be possible until they've unlocked the one before it.

...yet. I would hope science is still very much a work in progress. Eventually I'd like the ability to see all of the possible science experiments as an end state, For example, when you start the game, you know Duna exists, but that's about it. Do a fly-by, and you can see a list of biomes, but no details on what experiments are possible. Not until you've actually landed a probe can you see all of the possible experiments in each biome.

Alternatively, it might be interesting if a mapping probe highlighted anomalies that would require specific tests to resolve, e.g. here's a spot on Duna that appears to have an anomaly in the magnetic field. Land a magnetometer there for bonus science, return a sample for even more.

That's exactly what I envisioned for the archives: a place for the scientists to lead you toward potential new experiments. And as a somewhat completionist player, I just want a freakin' checklist!

• 3 weeks later...

THIS IS GIUNIUS! Is there a mod for this or something beacuse I really think they need this for the exact reasons you two stated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.