Allow users to change vessel type even with no charge in CM.

Just after I got my space station core into orbit, I undocked my probe from my station core (I only have the Stayputnik probe right now, so it isn't very aesthetically pleasing to leave on), and just as I was about to stage to fire my Seperatrons to deorbit the probe core to inevitably smash into the ground... I ran out of electric charge. In wanting to keep with the spirit of not making orbital debris magically disappear, I decided to re-designate it as a piece of debris. I was unable to do this however, as the button for changing a vessel's type seems to have disappeared as a result of my electrical charge running out.

Now, I don't see the logic of having that feature be dependent on electric charge, because in reality, once a satellite dies, it is considered a piece of debris. You didn't need the satellites electric charge to do that, as you just do it on the ground in mission control.

So, I suggest the simply suggestion of making the "change vessel type" feature independent of electric charge (and anything else for that matter).

I think the suggestion needs to go even further. Not only should you be able to do this with a dead battery but it shouldn't even require any command core at all. The naming of space objects is a thing people on the ground are doing. We name asteroids and comets sll the time. They don't have commmand cores

Yes, not being able to rename and reclassify objects because the battery is flat is a frankly daft restriction. We should also be able to rename and reclassify from the tracking station.

Being able to rename them from the tracking station is the ultimate solution here, but yeah, I ran into this same situation. I currently have a 'satellite' drifting randomly around Kerbin because of exactly the problem you described. I just haven't gone into the persistence and fixed it myself yet... mostly because I shouldn't have to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.