It Won't Stop Flyin'!

The Error

Testing a new SSTO design, Bill managed to royally screw up (totally not my error), ending up without fuel out over the ocean. Issue.

So I decided to try gliding back to KSC. Getting down to a half-decent flying altitude, I noted a problem- we were halfway across an ocean. More issues.

So I spotted an island to the North and made of rit, figuring I could land. about halfway there, I realized it wouldn't be close enough an decided to try for water landing. Shedding speed and altitude, I dropped low enough to lose one set of wings (triplane) and the engine, along with 2 landing gear. Oh...kay. This..might be an issue. Might.

So I gained a bit of altitude (infiniglide, maybe?) and kept heading north. getting close, I dropped the nose gear and pulled up. both cockpits survived, as did Bill. Rescue mission time..and that plane just kept flyin'.

http://imgur.com/a/0VbD4

With any sort of aircraft, you can gain altitude at the cost of speed. Probably not an infiniglide glitch there, just physics being somewhat approaching reality.

Also, water landings are... harsh. Water rips everything right apart.

I had several failed SSTO spaceplane attempts that ended with ignominious water landings...and no matter how I tried to come in as slow as possible, the plane always got shredded ...but the cockpit and kerbal always survived.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.