Kerbal Transportation System (Space shuttle) Construction

xzxvrx

Hey everyone,

I have been making stock shuttles for awhile but I typically just start over because I dont like the look. The one I am am currently designing should/ will be able to carry 2.5m cargo to LKO or above, and have functioning doors. Inspired by EJ_SA: http://twitch.tv/ej_sa/profile

I am starting this thread to get suggestions and feedback from the community.

Here is some WIP screenshots.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here is a gif of the doors opening

https://imgflip.com/gif/6rfay (imgur wasnt working for it)

(Both doors are supposed to open, trying to fix this.)

Again, feedback is welcome! I just want to know what you all think of it so far.

Edited by xzxvrx
Updated with better door opening

I have done a large amount of work since i posted this, I have built the doors themselves and the rear hinges,I only need to finish the forward hinges and a few more things. After that, ill do some atmospheric flight tests then take it over to the VAB and get it set up with the launcher.

Make it look realistic???? WHAT is realistic in KSP exactly?

It LOOKS awesome and my KSP will order 12 of them... :)

really... well done, if it can do the job, then it gets a thumbs up. I wonder how it will land given those wheels looks so tiny and only one of them... other than that, I cannot fault it. (assuming it can get into orbit... )

OP updated with new pictures.

Additions-

OMS Pods

Doors (incomplete)

Rear Hinges

RCS

Re-done landing gear placements (Rear gear is now attached to an I-beam inside the wing, which is connected to the main frame)

Once again, thanks for your feedback and comments.

Tip: place the OMS pods a little farther from the rudder, closer to the wings.

Also, the nose part(which begins at the end of the Cairo bay section) should be a little shorter.

Many are tempted to pop a Hitchhiker in their shuttle, but don't, it is too heavy, takes an awful lot of space and is quite ugly. You can remove it and then the née part will look much better and the shuttle won't be so front heavy.

Edited by iDan122

Tip: place the OMS pods a little farther from the rudder, closer to the wings.

Also, the nose part(which begins at the end of the Cairo bay section) should be a little shorter.

Many are tempted to pop a Hitchhiker in their shuttle, but don't, it is too heavy, takes an awful lot of space and is quite ugly. You can remove it and then the née part will look much better and the shuttle won't be so front heavy.

While you're no doubt correct, I think he's going more for the aesthetic. The fact that it seats 7 just like the real shuttle is also something I think he's trying to emulate. I personally think it's a beautiful piece of machinery.

You making the doors workable by attaching the smallest probe core?

I am using a sort-of experimental door hinge, but it wont be much different than most others. To open/close the doors, I am planning on using landing gear/struts to close them without having to switch to them and use reaction wheels.

Edit: Here is the first (almost) door opening

9Vl2SWL.png

The hinges are really loose, and they keep getting snagged on something at the front. Im going to check the front to move whatever they get stuck on, and add landing gear by the forward hinges too. Also note, I am using hack gravity for door testing.

Edit2: (sorry I keep bumping the thread) OP updated with picture of doors opened. Also the OMS pods are re-positiond

Edited by xzxvrx
Follow-up/ hinge demo

This is a gorgeous looking shuttle, pretty much the best one I've ever seen made publicly available, and especially considering it's made of stock parts. And the fact that it has a little four-kerb compartment that makes the shuttle able to hold the 7 crew members that the real thing could, and they come out into the main payload bay and everything, and I just cannot express the amount of impress-ed..ness I have for this amazing looking craft.

While I generally don't download people's craft, since I prefer to make my own, I may download this one to tear it apart and see how you did it. Beautiful craft, I really like it.

-M5K

When I've tried landing legs, they do even less because the pushing force isn't powerful enough because of the suspension.

If you've updated to the latest version, which is 0.23, you should be able to tweak the legs so that the suspension is locked, making them behave more or less exactly like they did in the older versions.

If you've updated to the latest version, which is 0.23, you should be able to tweak the legs so that the suspension is locked, making them behave more or less exactly like they did in the older versions.

*facepalm* Thanks...

I will probably release it, once i've run several missions with it. But just a warning though, The part count on the orbiter so far is 800+, and i think the launcher is even more.

I'm going away for a week tomorrow so I won't be able to work on this till January 2nd.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.