Eeloo, a relatively hot planet?

Tobbzzzz

Hello there!

Today i wanted to do some science in sandbox mode.

So i downloaded HyperEdit (cheats, i know :S) and made a little probe to teleport to Eeloo to check some stuff.

When i turned on the thermometer i was quite suprised.

P1fi2pO.png

After that, i checked the height of Eeloo from the surface of Kerbol, a.k.a The Sun.

EuVr7Ck.png

Because im not good at anything related to ''extraterrestrial'' things, i took upon myself to ask you guys!

So, is this a hot planet for it's distance from the sun or am i just dumb :P?

Well, it does cross Jool's orbit sometimes, so it shouldn't be too much colder than Jool's moons

Assuming that jool is similar to Jupiter in terms of radiation output no... The majority of the heat received by joolian planets is either radiation from jool or tidal heating. If i remember correctly Jupiter puts out significantly more radiation than it receives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

Eeloo is so cold the Kelvin scale came back around the other way.

Ah ha! *sound of trap springing shut* Caught one! :D

Negative Temperatures are not cold, they are hot, to quote the article "A substance with a negative temperature is not colder than absolute zero, but rather it is hotter than infinite temperature." Also, they can't exist in normal conditions, only in circumstances where energy states are limited, of course the Kerbalverse could have such conditions, however it would still make Eeloo super hot, not super cold.

Is it even possible to check temp in a vacuum.

Yes, the thermometer really measures the temperature of itself not it's surroundings directly, in an atmosphere then the thermometer's temperature is mostly affected by the atmosphere's temperature, though also by thermal radiation, which is why we have temperature in the shade to determine air temperature. In a vacuum it's temperature is affected only by the thermal radiation or any heat conducted from the craft. Which is why thermometers on sides of a ship facing the sun or away from the sun should be vastly different temperatures.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think that the Kerbals just have a somewhat unusual temperature scale: it's not Fahrenheit, Celsius, or Kelvin, but Kerbal.

EDIT: Either that, or the thermometer is just unreliable. Not unlikely, considering how iffy Kerbal engineering tends to be.

Edited by zxczxczbfg

• 3 weeks later...
The tempiture system is In Kevins (I know what I said) and No one understands the Kevin scale

(The thermometer is untrustworthy,apparently the surface of the sun is a blistering, 14'c, so don't trust the thermometer)

Derp. I guess I can blame that on my own mental habit of subconsciously correcting typos.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.