What do you think a typical career mission will consist of?

Stealth2668

At first I figured missions would be multi step procedures; You would get an objective like, "Collect data from Duna." So you would have to first gather fuel by making a satellite to scan nearby planets/moons to gather "kethane" (or whatever they decide to call this fuel) because you only have a small limited amount and need more to make it to Duna. After that you'd have to get there, drill up the resources, fuel up a ship that you put together and fly to Duna to collect data.

Now that resources seem to be cancelled, it looks like the only thing you can do is go from Kerbin straight to the next planet then back again. This seems like it would get old fast without complications like resource gathering/management. What else can they do? What do you think missions will consist of? What will be the "meat" of the mission.

At this point I'm thinking the typical career mission will probably end up being something like "Ferry Derp Kerman around for no discernible game mechanic other than to receive bacon" or "Put this totally worthless, except where lagging out your game is concerned, satellite into X by Y orbit."

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by the next update but I'm not holding my breath.

Ya, without resources IDK where this game can go. There will be no "point" to anything if you already have everything you need. I know for most people that will be ok because they are having fun in sandbox, but I need objectives. There's not much of a career if there's no objective.

Now that resources seem to be cancelled…

Resource mining is not cancelled as a concept. Only the old "not fun" plan is scrapped, with the concept open to be revisited in the future.

It's really too early to say what missions and contracts might include, but I'd guess satellite launches, probes to specific locations, and probably a random selection of science gathering type things. I'd imagine that a big part of it will be to engineer efficiently, to a budget.

I want it to be like the Tycoon scenarios, parameters you would choose at the start of a new game. Something like this:

Business Failure

Unfortunately, the KSP bought some stupid things, and now there isn't much money left. To make matters worse, the people of Kerbin are losing faith in the KSP, meaning that there are fewer and less prestigious missions up for grabs. Can you save the once proud Kerbal Space Program?

OBJECTIVES:

*Get out of debt by the end of Year 5

*Be more than 100 million Kerbits in the green at the end of Year 5

*Don't get shut down!

That would be fun. It would be cool if every planet has a unique resource (that get more expensive the further the planet is from kerbin) that you can gather and sell for money to help fund your next project. You'd start from resources on Kerbin to get a small profit, then head to the mun for more expensive material and so on. Also, the bigger your ship, the more you can carry back but at the cost of more fuel consumption, and thrust needed so you need to balance payload with costs (fuel + ship parts).

Edited by Stealth2668

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.