The Best way to do Science in .23

Hi Guys, me again.

I am really stuck here at some times.

So I am glad that we cant Spam Science anymore but it worked out quite a bit differently than I had expected.

In my opinion you should be able to run an Experiment, than you should be able to transmit it (like the first impressions on it which gives you 40% of the available Science) but you could also bring the same Experiment back to gain the last 60%.

So right know I have to go the Biome, run the Experiment, then go to the Lab, decide to transmit it or store the Experiment in the lab (do that until the lab is full) and take the lab home.

I am Aware that the lab was intended for making spacestations more interesting but instead of spamming science we are now hauling our Kerbals green Buttcheeks of to gain it.

Please correct me if I am playing it wrong or if I have missed something :)

Thank you guys.

Here's the under-publicized trick to making science recovery a whole lot easier: You can remove the samples from the material bay and goo containers, store them in your command pod, and only bring the command pod back. You don't need the science lab in Kerbin SOI. You can take something like this to Minmus, hit four biomes, store all of the results in the command pod, decouple all of that science gear, fly on home, and collect 2k in science.

AF0B83ADEADBECA14F0C4CAA35E6284F164E2F72

The science lab shines when you go interplanetary, as then you can store the results and reset the experiments.

Edited by ArmchairGravy

Here's the under-publicized trick to making science recovery a whole lot easier: You can remove the samples from the material bay and goo containers, store them in your command pod, and only bring the command pod back. You don't need the science lab in Kerbin SOI. You can take something like this to Minmus, hit four biomes, store all of the results in the command pod, decouple all of that science gear, fly on home, and collect 2k in science.

The science lab shines when you go interplanetary, as then you can store the results and reset the experiments.

Yeah, the storing Feature is what I have figured out too. but you still Need the lab to reset the experiments.

By the way. How many times do I have to recover an Experiment to max out the Biome?

Yeah, the storing Feature is what I have figured out too. but you still Need the lab to reset the experiments.

By the way. How many times do I have to recover an Experiment to max out the Biome?

You have to perform an experiment twice to scrape all of the science out. However, it's not worth it as the return on that 2nd one is very low. I don't bother resetting the experiments when doing Mun or Minmus, or hitting the same biome twice. If you hit 4-5 biomes on Minmus, you have the tech to do 4-5 on Mun, and then you can hit Duna for 4k. If you do 1 pass on all of the Minmus and Mun biomes, you should have a fully unlocked tree. I get tired of landing on the same rock time and again, and just do 4-5 on each, then head out.

I found it handy at Duna just so I could hit Ike, reset, then hit Duna. But yeah, if it's a solo rock like Moho or Dres, it's not needed at all.

It is pretty sad there is only so Little use for it because a Space-Lab is something that was really missing in the game.

Oh well, good thing I asked indeed :)

Oh wait.

How many Experiments can be stored in each Command Pod? Is there something on the Wiki already?

I even was to Gilly, I was just concerned how the Science works out now. In my opinion the Lab is not worth to take it with you unless you are going to Jool.

I'm just preparing for a Joolian tour, and I still don't see it.

I can pack a science jr and goo canister for each moon, and it's less weight to haul out there than a science lab. It does mean I'll only get one reading from each moon, but by the time a person has enough tech to perform a Joolian tour, they can finish off the entire tree with what I'm planning on bringing back anyway.

ArmchairGravy, what rocket design did you use to get that monstrosity into space?

Just some Skippers. I always prioritize the Skippers. Mun/Minmus flybys and one Minmus landing should be enough to unlock them.

QnNwGPl.png?1

Craft file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2W9Rmwb1-ZkdjBuNlMxbnlQaE0/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by ArmchairGravy

Here's the under-publicized trick to making science recovery a whole lot easier: You can remove the samples from the material bay and goo containers, store them in your command pod, and only bring the command pod back.

Can science data be transferred OUT of a command pod and into another? I would have thought so but I can't figure any way. Here's the situation I ran into:

I sent a crewed orbiter to Moho to get Science!â„¢ from the crew and EVA reports, as well as Goo and materials data while orbiting. I knew it wasn't going to be able to land so I didn't design the craft with any landing provisions. Upon completion of the science goals, I sent a crewman out on EVA to get the results and store them back in the command pod. A tanker rendezvoused, refueled the vessel and they left for home. Upon returning to Kerbin, they met up with a Kerbin return vessel to go home but now that they've docked I see no way to get the science gathered back home, short of trying to crash-land the Moho orbiter and then recover the debris (if it survives) from the Tracking Station.

Is there any way to salvage this boondoggle I've made?

Can science data be transferred OUT of a command pod and into another? I would have thought so but I can't figure any way.

If you're playing 0.23, yes. You just need to latch on to the ladder of the command pod, right click the command pod, and you'll get a "take reports" menu option (or something like that). Storing them back in a capsule works the same way as storing a single experiment result.

If you're playing 0.23, yes. You just need to latch on to the ladder of the command pod, right click the command pod, and you'll get a "take reports" menu option (or something like that). Storing them back in a capsule works the same way as storing a single experiment result.

Holy crap, it worked. I swear I TRIED that before but maybe I was clicking on the EVA crewman (Krewman? :) ). I tried again just now and it worked! Thanks!

Holy crap, it worked. I swear I TRIED that before but maybe I was clicking on the EVA crewman (Krewman? :) ). I tried again just now and it worked! Thanks!

No problem, glad to help. I've seen times it didn't seem to pop up that option at first as well, but it usually did if I retried it. Probably a bit of lag or clicking on the wrong item in my case as well.

I've got a station orbiting minmus. Hoping to shuttle back and forth to get max science.

In my experience, it's easier and less time-consuming to just pile all the results into the command pod, and blast home. However, it's also my experience that it's more rewarding play-wise to use a science lab once you get docking ports unlocked, as then you get to act like a real kerbinaut by docking, and doing EVA work to store the data from instruments and experiments. The most efficient gameplay is not always the most fun! :)

DOH! I didn't know about transferring science to another capsule! I made modifications to my Kerbal Personnel Transport by replacing the hitchhiker module with the science module.

LnVyiJ0h.png

It's a bit tall but lands safe enough on Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus. At Duna you need to bleed off your descent velocity as the chutes aren't enough to slow you down. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.