Is it possible to have both the demo and the full game?

Just as the title says. I had the demo on steam ,then i bought the full game on steam in August. It deleted the demo. Is there a way to download the demo without deleting the full game? Should i keep the full game on steam and get the demo from the website? Will it run any slower? Not very important issue, but i just want to bring back memories from the demo days. :D

I have my main full game on the steam install. As you mentioned it overwrote my demo installation. I did exactly what you suggested, picked up the demo from the website and keep it as a seperate install. I had to use similar techniques in order to have multiple copies of KSP. I generally have my main steam install being completely unmodded and always kept up-to-date. I then have cloned copies all over the place with differing mod loadouts and even differing versions

Your demo as grabbed from the site shouldnt perform any differantly to the steam install. It is worth noting however that as updates bring code optimisations the main game may well eventually speed up relative to the demo, which is a frozen snapshot of an older game version

So, you're saying as long as i do it on the main site, i can just hit the download button, and do no coding or backing up, and get the demo without deleting the full game? I just really want to make sure i don't lose the game, that would be bad...

So, you're saying as long as i do it on the main site, i can just hit the download button, and do no coding or backing up, and get the demo without deleting the full game? I just really want to make sure i don't lose the game, that would be bad...

The demo is a completely independent program. You can run it anywhere, even off a thumb drive. Likewise, you can run different versions of KSP on your computer as they are also standalone versions. In fact, to be on the safe side, copy KSP from your Steam folder to another location such as a Games folder, create a desktop icon and use that to test add ons. All the screen settings are stored in the registry so they will apply to the copies when you run them.

You are allowed to install the game to other computers that you own. However, you are NOT allowed to install copies to third party users. Exception are the demo version.

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/eula.php

I have the game on the laptop as well as the desktop. I also have the demo and several older versions as archive on those computers. Just to be safe, the desktop has the Steam purchase while the laptop has the version purchased directly from Squid. Many of the forum users have also purchased two copies from the two different sources as a courtesy to the developers.

Hopefully this honor system will remain in place so we never have to suffer from the insanity of buggy, overpriced, pay a subscription to play, games that are now out there especially on what used to be stand alone console systems.

Edited by SRV Ron

As long as you install them to different locations it will be fine. I don't think Steam gives you an option, but the download off of the site should... so you should be okay doing that.

=Smidge=

Just copy the program from the SteamApps\common folder to another location and create a desktop shortcut icon from the KSP.exe file.

Sorry, i don't even understand how to do this. How do you unzip a zip file? where do you drag the file? What is a directory?

If you don't know any of this, have a friend with some computer experience show you how to do basic file housekeeping.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.