[0.23][WIP] RandomSolarSystem Alpha 0.2

Galantir

Great mod idea!

What about:

- Replace Sun with black hole-like object - pretty small, maybe invisible on map (if this can be done at all), huge gravity

- Kerbol and other stars (4-5 in total) orbit it on a highly-inclined, far-away orbits

- Every star have its own planets (less than original Kerbol system - 4-5 max, due to memory constrains)

For example:

- Kerbol (Moho, Kerbin\Mun\Minmus, Eeloo)

- Jool (a brown dwarf) - Bop, Pol, 2-3 Gilly-like objects

- System #3 - Eve\Gilly, Vall, 2-3 Minmus-like large asteroids

- System #4 - Duna\Ike, 1-2 Minmus-like asteroids

- System #5 - Laythe\small moon, Tylo\2 small moons

- Some independent objects (orphan planets)

Technically, it can be done, right? The only things that concern me is Kraken and solar panels functionality.

Solar panels, lighting, stuff like that. Would require rewriting how the lighting works...

Ohh nice, I have a question Is it technically possible to have more than one random solar system in the game ?? If not, then Maybe one star will orbit Kerbol very very far away, it's planets will be it's "moons"

INTERSTELLAR TRAVEL!!!

EDIT: I Didn't even read the post above and we had similar idea!

Looks like it has bugs but this is an awesome mod idea! Now if there was some way to transition between solar systems... kind of like going from one save to another... hmm maybe have a ship that goes outside a certain radius from the star automatically loaded into a new save with a different solar system? so it would be like exploring different star systems with a loading screen between them.

Just tried it out, some suggestions:

There are bigger planets orbiting smaller ones. For example, Laythe was orbiting Eeloo. Maybe have a check to reject configurations like that? Also moons orbiting outside their planet's SOI.

Make all the KSP bodies able to be both planets and moons. Instead of the stock planets being planets, and the stock moons being moons. So you can have for example Tylo as a planet with Dres orbiting it.

Instead of a uniform distribution over the range of planet distances, use another distribution like exponential, so that there are more close-up moons than far away ones.

Atm i'm totally rewriting the code base and taking it in a slightly different direction which should have less problems.

It won't be completely random but will have a function to randomly select from a set of systems.

I have created it in such a way that systems could easily be added pretty much by anyone.

Offcourse it will also have the option to choose a praticular system.

Creating a system however still requires some work, so the next release will probably only have one system.

I am also working on implementing chaning more than orbits but this still has to be tested at this stage.

Along with this all there will probably be a name change since the name doesn't entirely fit the addon anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the potential of this mod. One thing you might consider is finding a little program from back in the day called Accrete. The source is available online. The program generates a random solar system based on planetary disk accretion. Whether it is realistic or the model has since changed isn't really of concern, it is a way to get mostly-realistic system statistics. You can then take that information and best-fit the Kerbin system planets to the generated system. You'd have to scale down the realistic numbers to 1/10 scale of course. Just an idea. Good luck with this mod!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does this mod still work OK with the new 23.5 upgrade? I will keep it in a separate 0.23 game folder if not.

Woah. I forgot about this mod. I REALLY hope it works. I suspect there will be problems with asteroid trajectories, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.