[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

FireFaced: ServiceModule and Fuselage tank types are highly pressurized, and therefore needed to store RCS propellants. Conveniently all stock RCS tanks are made type ServiceModule.

Andy81le: You could remove it from the service module type, but that would kinda defeat the purpose. Also, let's recall that the mk1pod is modeled on Mercury, which...did exactly as you describe. :P (~48600 units of EC, aka 13.5kWh).

Andy81le: You could remove it from the service module type, but that would kinda defeat the purpose. Also, let's recall that the mk1pod is modeled on Mercury, which...did exactly as you describe. :P (~48600 units of EC, aka 13.5kWh).

Thanks, didn't know that! :)

I tried to use RF with MFT along, and the Stockalike configs (which seems to be updated to RF 8, not 10). However, when I install RF, MFT starts showing twice entries for every tank: mass, UI buttons, etc. It would be just a nuissance, but the fact is that mass was accounted twice, and my rockets/planes were getting very, very heavy. Also, MFT was not showing the cool fuels RF needs (Kerosene, Ethanol, etc.), and had only the stock options (liquid fuel + oxidizer), so no rocket would work due to "deprivation of whatever fuel".

I pulled off all mods from my Gamedata and followed the rules for installation of MFT + RF, and could thou confirm that when RF was in, MFT went nuts.

So, right now I have only MFT for control of tanks' contents over stock game, but it feels wrong. Like having a muffin with no toppings.

Any clues what I am doing wrong?

Yeah, after checking on CKAN, it says they are conflicting (RF and MFT). So I removed MFT and replaced it with RF via CKAN, and it does what I need (compartmentalization of tanks), plus cool engines on several fuels.

Sorry for the goofiness.

v10.1

• Added specific heats for most of the resources (thanks stratochief!).
  • Revised temperature gauge for rocket engines.
  • Set tanks with cryo propellants to their boiling points during prelaunch when pumps (i.e. launch clamps) are connected, so they don't start way above BP.
  • Make life support waste resources not fillable.
  • Compatibility with Ven's Stock Revamp for the RF cloned parts

The uranium stuff is only for NTRs, and come inside the NTR itself, you don't add it.

Xenon should be available with type 'servicemodule' or type 'electricpropulsion' (the latter may not be available with proc parts, I'll fix for next release).

The boiling off of e.g. hydrogen, as described on the first page, is a working feature of RealFuels? I was wondering why I am leaking hydrogen in space ...

Does anyone have suggestions for a mod containing cryogenic fuel tanks with 1.25 radii?

Edited by Andy81le

Hi!

I'm having a problem with pressurized fuels.

I've got the latest RF and RF stockalike configs and I can't, for the life of me, get any of my tanks to register as pressurized. RCS doesn't work. Pressurized engines with Engine Ignitor installed don't work. I don't know what's wrong. Procedural tanks can't be made pressurized, either, even with the use of balloon, cryoballoon, service module types etc.

On right-clicking any of the RCS thrusters, ISP always reads 0. They are attached radially to filled tanks.

My full list of mods is FAR, DRE, KW Rocketry, TACLS, realchute, proc fairings, KJR, KER and Active Texture Management.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Higgin

Higgin, welcome to the forums! :)

If you have Procedural Parts, then use the tank type selector (it starts at Default) to switch to Service Module or Fuselage. Otherwise use a stock RCS tank--it's set to type ServiceModule. That will give you a highly-pressurized tank.

My guess is you downloaded RF Stockalike configs as a release--IIRC the release is not updated to use the correct ModuleRCSFX. Update that manually. In addition, engine ignitor is not updated for KSP 1.0, AFAIK.

My guess is you downloaded RF Stockalike configs as a release--IIRC the release is not updated to use the correct ModuleRCSFX. Update that manually.

Having the same problem. How can I update it manually? :)

Edit: I am having the most up-to-date version of ModuleRCSFX installed, but I still can't set tanks to pressurized and/or they won't indicate that they are pressurized.

Edited by Andy81le

Higgin, welcome to the forums! :)

If you have Procedural Parts, then use the tank type selector (it starts at Default) to switch to Service Module or Fuselage. Otherwise use a stock RCS tank--it's set to type ServiceModule. That will give you a highly-pressurized tank.

My guess is you downloaded RF Stockalike configs as a release--IIRC the release is not updated to use the correct ModuleRCSFX. Update that manually. In addition, engine ignitor is not updated for KSP 1.0, AFAIK.

Well heck! Thanks much! I'll give that a try.

Edit: Tried it, it worked.

RCS is functional though tanks w/ highly pressurized modules still read 'false'.

Edited by Higgin

Hello.

Is there any way to use realfuels alongside extraplanetary launchpads and MKS?

I've never heard of them conflicting, if that's what you mean. You can safely install all of them.

EPL will build any craft file that you can save, and MKS doesn't really produce or consume fuel, so it doesn't care what kinds of tanks you have.

Is there some particular thing involving multiple mods that you want to be able to do?

Hi,

I have problem with LqdOxygen. Sir, help me please!

When my Craft got into space, the LqdOxygen was slowly ran out while throttle cut-off or engine shutdown. But when the craft was on launchpad with active engine, LqdOxygen always full although timewarp was x1000 (not run out).

How can I fix it sir?

This is not a bug. It's a feature ;).

If LqdOxygen is not cool enough, it boils off, i.e., evaporates into space. This does not happen on the launchpad, if the craft is connected to launch clamps and the pumps are on, because then the boiling LqdOxygen is constantly resupplied.

To minmize the effect you can:

- Use fuels without "Lqd" in the name

- use Cryogenic tanks (Cryo or CryoBalloon types in the tank type selecter (right-click on the tank in VAB))

- make sure your tank is cool

Hi,

When my Craft got into space, the LqdOxygen was slowly ran out while throttle cut-off or engine shutdown. But when the craft was on launchpad with active engine, LqdOxygen always full although timewarp was x1000 (not run out).

How can I fix it sir?

Hi,

How can I fix it sir?

You need to use cryogenic tanks for LqdOxygen and LqdHydrogen! Learn from my mistakes! ;-)

This is not a bug. It's a feature :wink:.

If LqdOxygen is not cool enough, it boils off, i.e., evaporates into space. This does not happen on the launchpad, if the craft is connected to launch clamps and the pumps are on, because then the boiling LqdOxygen is constantly resupplied.

To minmize the effect you can:

- Use fuels without "Lqd" in the name

- use Cryogenic tanks (Cryo or CryoBalloon types in the tank type selecter (right-click on the tank in VAB))

You need to use cryogenic tanks for LqdOxygen and LqdHydrogen! Learn from my mistakes! ;-)

Haha, thank you sir!

I've thought that's a feature of RF, but I don't know how to do.

How? Using radiators and thermoinsulators from both Heat Management and Heat Control mods allows to combat heat from engines, but there is also sunlight... and overall vehicle temperature stays aroung 200K at all times. 200K is too much for cryogenic fuel safety.

There was an electric cooler in earlier releases of RF, but it is not in place anymore.

It's my understanding that cryogenic fuels are not really suited for anything more than launches and short term use. For in-space missions, hypergolic fuels are probably the best choice. They're much more stable and last a lot longer in storage.