[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Hello, i dont know if this has been adressed already but it seems to be that my modular engines isnt working, I cant configure an engine to fuel or change its tech level through the action groups menu. When I click on a tank it lets me change the fuel but when I try to click on an engine nothing appears to configure the engine.

Anyone know a fix? Ive tried reinstalling multiple times and to no avail.

Yeah that is asmi's one. Do you have Nathan's RF config for it (from the second post in the Realism Overhaul thread)?

That fixed it. Sorry for the trouble. So hard keeping up with all the mods, patches, versions, oh my!

NathanKell: How come some mixes don't seem to work out right? For example, the SpaceX first stage which burns LOX and Kerosene. When I use the Auto Configure, I always end up with the engines running out of LOX while still having a noticeable amount of Kerosene left. I've had this with other mixes as well. Is there just some inherent loss in the mixes so that they never burn out exactly even?

Yeah it can get confusing. I updated my sig to hopefully help clear up some issues when installing the rescale config for the SpaceX rockets

By the way, one thing i've done to my local copy is add in an RT SPU and Midrange omni to the pods and probes. Mainly so that I can actually control the various stages individually to try and return them. Without an antenna they become inoperable, and putting one on the outside tended to burn up.

Agathorn: Make sure that no other tanks accessible to the engine have kero or lox in them. Make sure you empty the feeding tank(s) first, then fill with the correct button (check the tooltip, make sure it lists the engine you're filling for). Should work then.

By the way, one thing i've done to my local copy is add in an RT SPU and Midrange omni to the pods and probes. Mainly so that I can actually control the various stages individually to try and return them. Without an antenna they become inoperable, and putting one on the outside tended to burn up.

Oh I didn't think of that, good idea since I don't use RT. Could you copy and paste the code you put in and I'll add it add it in to the necessary parts? Thanks!

Agathorn: Make sure that no other tanks accessible to the engine have kero or lox in them. Make sure you empty the feeding tank(s) first, then fill with the correct button (check the tooltip, make sure it lists the engine you're filling for). Should work then.

One tank, 9 duplicate engines in the first stage cluster. Nothing else to steal it :)

Oh I didn't think of that, good idea since I don't use RT. Could you copy and paste the code you put in and I'll add it add it in to the necessary parts? Thanks!

Here is my file, I just pulled out the MechJeb sections, since I add that as well.

@PART[LazTekDragon2]:Final
{
!MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}
!MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
OmniRange = 50000000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}
@PART[LazTekFalcon9ASASBase]:Final
{
!MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}
MODULE
{
OmniRange = 50000000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
}
}
}
@PART[LazTekFalconRemoteControl]:Final
{
!MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}
MODULE
{
OmniRange = 50000000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

Hi,

Is there a simple way to edit an RF config to add a metholox mode to all the engines? I'd like to use that for most of my vehicles, but most of the engines in the Realistic Stockalikes config seem to have Kerolox, Hydrolox, and hypergolic modes.

If you want to do it in bulk then downloading Nathan's spreadsheet is probably what you want to do. Use it to make changes and then it will write out the necessary config text for you to copy and paste.

Hey Scripto just a heads up on my MM additions for RT in SpaceX. Looks like I forgot a probe, the SHERPA thing.

@PART[LazTekSHERPA]:Final
{
!MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}
MODULE
{
OmniRange = 50000000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

I'm just wondering if we're at the point where someone could take real world engine stats and plug them into a .cfg? I've edited the Saturn V mod that someone made, and in terms of fuel mass it seems to be correct, but I can't get the thrusts to work out. Real world thrusts seem not to mesh very well into the game, am I missing something?

Probably, since that *is* what the engine configs usually do. :) SFJackBauer's RealEngines pack have real stats (as it says), and my RftSEngines don't clone any particular engines but do have realistic stats. The changes to piwa's Saturn V that I made had all real engine stats and it was fine...

Hey Nathan i'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I was just eyeing the Kethane mod and was wondering how/if that works with RF?

It works in that you can allocate Kethane tank space and it cannot be filled in the VAB or on the launch pad.

The Kethane converter can convert to at least some of the fuels in RF. (not sure if it's been updated for the wider array of fuels that are now available)

Previously I had a set of configs that treated Kethane as methane including tweaking the density and assigning boiloff at methane temperatures, NTR support for Kethane and stock and KW Rocketry engines for KH4 + LOX.

But since we have methane now that's fallen by the wayside. If I start playing with Kethane again I might do something similar but treating it as its own fuel type if I could figure out what properties it should have. Or maybe not. I dunno.

Hi, on what do you base your volume? For example the KW Rocketry SA-4 LFT's volumes is only 12 % larger than the FL-T800 Fuel Tank's volume although it has the same diameter and is 25 % higher. So using one FL-T800 Fuel Tank and FL-T200 Fuel Tank has about the same height but contain 11 % more fuel.

Fabian

Hi, Long time that I dint play KSP since 0.22

Now I re-install all mods again but with real fuel I notice that almost ALL engines (squad and NP) cant be configured.

I press in the engine and nothing happen (90% of engines does not have config GUI), I need to set fuel manually in each stretchy tanks (I remove all stock or NP tanks).

And I remember that in the first modular fuels edition we had all NP engines and stock for all types of fuels (thanks to starwaster XD). In Nathan first version of real fuels, we had almost all engines from stock and NP.

Now I check the config files and there is almost nothing there for NP or squad.

I need an extra file or what?

In a lot of places Nathan said that we should install realism overhaul with a good engine pack. What is this mean? What benefic we have?

From my point of view using real solar system:

Pross: FAR will work much better with real scales, it will be nice to know that we are using correct engines mass and fuel consumption. A good tech tree.

Cons: All the terrain details would look worst. Each launch would take 15 min, if you dont have much free time free, build a space station seems an issue.

I see that there is a cfg for stock engines made by starwaster, but then I read that produce some bugs. Is this right?

If someone has config files for NP or stock engines can I ask borrow please?

Edited by AngelLestat

You need engine configs for the engines, they no longer come with Real Fuels:

For Nathan's 'realistic stats' engines:

Reaching for the Stars Engines. Delete your SFJBRealEngines folder, remove any current RftSEngines.cfg anywhere in GameData, and download and install the Reaching for the Stars pack. Note you will need the latest ExsurgentEngineering plugin from careo (HERE--replace any existing ExsurgentEngineering.dll with it, or install it into GameData/ExsurgentEngineering/Plugins [making folders as necessary]) , until dtobi's Space Shuttle Engines or Smart Parts mods are updated with dtobi's new gimbal fixes.

For the stockalike engines:

Engine Configs

Download and install ONLY ONE.

"Stock" engine configs updated by Chestburster. Download and place in your RealFuels folder. Updated 1/20/14

But chestburster config file is only for stock engines.

What I have to do to include b9 and novapunch?

If I install only the RftSEngines.cfg that comes with "RFTS pack V2", there is a way to change a parameter to keep all engines balanced according to KSP scale and gameplay?

In real settings.cfg there is a engine multiplier, changing that it will be enoght?

Edited by AngelLestat

when i put the updated stock.cfg in realfuels foulder i lose all ablity to change fuel types for stock engines

i'm having the same problem, I cant configure the stock engines, and they produce no thrust. The engines from KW work just fine however

I think I may have found what was causing the problem, at least for me. There was another engine config in my real fuels folder called MFSEsetting.cfg (I think) that may have been conflicting with chestbursters new config. I have deleted that old one, and everything works fine now

Edited by Chimer4