Assembling Base Modules

So, I've decided to give complex multi-segment bases a go since .23's optimizations mean my computer won't explode when I try. However, I'm having some trouble making things to assemble the modules. I've been unable to build a "sled" type rover that its under my bases safely. Also they're rather wibbly-wobbly. I've also tried 1 rover on each of the end docking ports. This isn't working either. While I can move the modules (with much fuss) I can't dock them with each other becasue I need both rovers on the end to do anything.

So basically I'm looking for some suggestions/examples for base assembly. With one caveat: the method of assembly should really be smaller than the base. No gigantic crawlers :P

Pictures follow (just note that all the modules have 1 under-slung docking port.)

Base333.jpg

Base222.jpg

Base111.jpg

Edited by Sauron

Depending on how heavy your base modules get, you could make a single-end rover work, so the other end of the module can be docked. Just put a counterweight on the other end of the rover. This has two requirements:

- the rover has to be significantly more heavy than every base module

- the base modules have to be light enough to 'hang' from one end without touching the ground

Of course, if you use mods (I think I see a KAS winch there) you can get a lot more creative. Some tips what you can do with KAS:

- use hooks to anchor the carrier to the ground (so it doesn't tip over etc.) while un-/loading modules (maybe combine with robotics)

- use EVA struts to secure a loaded module

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.