Do you waste Science by transmitting?

I have a question, I know that you get more science from bringing back data vs transmitting, however I am doing a realistic approach on KSP by sending unmanned probes first then sending Manned missions. Can you do the science only once in a specific place regardless of data transfer you do??? and if so if I transmit then do I waste potential science or can I go back and re-do it again but this time physically return the data?

For example I go to the mun, orbit it, do unmanned science and transmit... I get reduced science. and then later I return for a manned mission in the same place, and redo it again, but this time actually return the data. Do i get zero science then?

so, Do you permanently waste Science by transmitting instead of returning?

Edited by lyndonguitar

No.

Example. Minmus each biome surface sample give you 200 science point Max. You can split to as many return as you like: Transmit or Bring back add up 200 max.

Thanks, So I guess it just boils down to having multiple unmanned transmitting missions versus few long manned returning missions am i right?

Probes are actually really good for finding and marking the biomes. Just make small probes with the temperature or gravity sensor and send them to every feature on the target that looks important. If the experiment describes it as from a different name from what you've seen before then you can mark the biome (by renaming the probe). Then you know where to send your kerbal to get the soil sample.

Thanks, So I guess it just boils down to having multiple unmanned transmitting missions versus few long manned returning missions am i right?

No.

Bring multiple command pod in 1 craft. 3 is a good number. Example again: store 3 same ground sample in each pod. and bring back will net you about 95ï¼… of 200.

Not necessarily. Nothing stops you from doing both. The radio transmissions will give you early access to science points that can be used for research which in turn allows you to send in a manned mission to pick up the rest of the points.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.