SCARAB - Light Utility Dropship

Most epic ship ever seen! I absolutely love the setup below the ox pic. Is actually a suitable and awesome successor to the Ox. As i am also a great fan of Ox, I shall mourn the loss.

Cheers, I'll miss it too, but it was just a bit too slow and ponderous, I've come to the conclusion that light and nippy is the way to go with these sort of things... :)

Cupcake...

This is my first visit to the forum this year, and I was not disappointed!

Great video as always Cupcake. Dem piloting skills. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do barrel rolls while caring a full load! ;)

Great ship too. Look forward to trying it out!

So, is the rocket engine a an aerospike clipped inside a jet engine? It's pretty epic, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Just a couple of good old LV-909s in there. They're mounted on cubic struts with the jets at the top and rockets at the bottom. Hope this helps! :)

Cupcake...

Cupcake, not only were you featured in the Kerbal Daily, the featured video has now become a challenge.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66293-Today-I-build-a-Rocket?p=912267

Yep, your Today I Build a Rocket vid has it's own challenge. Would you like to make an entry or shall the vid suffice?

Cupcake, not only were you featured in the Kerbal Daily, the featured video has now become a challenge.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66293-Today-I-build-a-Rocket?p=912267

Yep, your Today I Build a Rocket vid has it's own challenge. Would you like to make an entry or shall the vid suffice?

Oh heavens! :0.0: Well I feel I should really make an effort and do a one take "live" version of the challenge, well, the building part anyway. I guess a question I have is if it's possible to use multiple copies of the same stage, if say one of them happens to fall off the rocket during assembly! :blush: Also it'll be worth telling anyone that takes part in the challenge to clip a rover seat into each stage, if not the stage may be classed as debris and deleted (very annoying!). But yeah, I'll certainly be up for it. I'm afraid due to other commitments I won't be able to do a vid till next weekend though. :( But yeah, cheers for setting up the challenge, I'm really looking forward to seeing what people come up with. :D

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

• 3 weeks later...

So I've tried playing around with hovering craft like this in the past, but I can't seem to get them to reliably maintain altitude or stop moving once they're going forward. The delay between the throttle and engine output doesn't help matters either. Any pointers for how to get your level of engine control?

So I've tried playing around with hovering craft like this in the past, but I can't seem to get them to reliably maintain altitude or stop moving once they're going forward. The delay between the throttle and engine output doesn't help matters either. Any pointers for how to get your level of engine control?

Most of my dropships combine jet and rocket engines on the same chasis, by using both at the same time you can eliminate most of the throttle lag from the jets. In the SCARAB's case it's a pair of jets paried up with two LV-909s. :)

Cupcake...

Most of my dropships combine jet and rocket engines on the same chasis, by using both at the same time you can eliminate most of the throttle lag from the jets. In the SCARAB's case it's a pair of jets paried up with two LV-909s. :)

Cupcake...

I downloaded your craft and tried it. And while I see how it could work, it's far from easy. Your designs inspired a SSTO of my own, but I don't really have the control to land a dropship yet, much less the fancy flying you're doing. Building a rocket like that is well beyond me. Still, it's something to work on.

I downloaded your craft and tried it. And while I see how it could work, it's far from easy. Your designs inspired a SSTO of my own, but I don't really have the control to land a dropship yet, much less the fancy flying you're doing. Building a rocket like that is well beyond me. Still, it's something to work on.

What control setup are you using?

Cupcake...

The only thing that's more impressive than your dropships, is your piloting skill!

Have you tried putting a universal docking port at the bottom so that it could attach to 2m and 1m docking ports? All you have to do is to clip a 1m docking port into a 2m one.

I totally agree with that ! Damned I'm still have trouble making a VTOL not moving in any direction :confused:

Nice design and nice multi-purpose ship.

What control setup are you using?

Cupcake...

Mostly keyboard. I have an old Cyborg Evo joystick I tried to use, but I can't get KSP to recognize throttle and rudder. I should probably replace that joystick anyway, it's a good 10 years old. Any recommendations?

Mostly keyboard. I have an old Cyborg Evo joystick I tried to use, but I can't get KSP to recognize throttle and rudder. I should probably replace that joystick anyway, it's a good 10 years old. Any recommendations?

A Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a pretty safe bet. Any analogue controls will be an improvement over a keyboard especially for craft like the SCARAB! Even with a joystick though, docking and building modules on Kerbin isn't easy, a good place to practice is somewhere like the Mun or Minmus where the gravitys a lot lower, and the magnetic links a lot stronger. :)

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.