Part Clipping in Editor & Ship Explosions

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.

I recently began encountering random vessel explosions upon loading them up from the tracking station. Out of the blue, a suspicion entered my mind that it might have to do with part clipping. I've clipped parts within other parts thousands of times with no issues before but after some research on the forums I suppose it is a valid cause for ships exploding.

My question is, what set of variables causes random explosions related to part clipping? I only began encountering problems with clipped vessel explosions once I started playing on my pretty old laptop. When I played on my tower with an i7 I had no issues.

Still not positive its part clipping causing the issue but I'm wondering... could it be that on slower computers maybe the physics calculations cant catch up before the scene loads causing parts to instantly smash into each-other?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Are they saves that you have from before using the laptop?

If yes:

It might be, as you suggest, an issue with performance on slower computers affecting the physics. Try adjusting the physics slider thing (Lagsbane, I can't remember the official KSP name) to see if that makes any difference, or identify a rocket which reliably explodes and provide the craft file so someone with a higher spec machine can see if they get the same results.

If no:

Maybe you're just doing things slightly differently from before and ending up with more chance of clipping errors.

The first is more likely in both cases though.

Thanks for the replies. I've tried setting the physics delta slider in the middle, the default, far left, and far right all with the same results.... It's always on vessel load. It even seemed to occur once when the vessel was out of focus and on rails.

Attached are some images..

explosion1-1.jpg

nothingnesspart1.jpg

nothingnesspart2-1.jpg

finalexplosion.jpg

Also, the craft is very small, only 15 parts. They get off the launcher just fine. I'll attach a craft file shortly and am able to attach my persistence file or quick save if that will help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.