Who uses Liquid Boosters, or Solid Boosters?

KittyProgram

Type of Boosters  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Type of Boosters

• Liquid
    • Solid
    • Both
    • I use boosters on my boosters, for maximum boost!
    • Boosters? What boosters?
    • Jets!
    • R.A.P.I.E.R
    • Other - Please post below

Solid fuel boosters aren't very useful with heavy rockets.

But I use sepatrons to de-orbit debris on Kerbin and probes to Duna. But on the last one, sepatrons killed ALL my horizontal speed and it ends in a very rapid descent/LITObrake. Yep, next time I have to be more careful with solid rockets.

I primarily use liquid boosters. I prefer the specific impulse and throttle control and try to stick with them. Solids have their moments - they're compact and can fit in between large liquid fuel tanks. Separation solid motors are always handy for my multi-layered, parallel-staging giants.

But since I stack boosters, sometimes solids on liquids, I had to pick, "I use boosters on my boosters, for maximum boost!"

The main problem for military with liquid fuels /oxydizers (mostly the cryogenics ones) is the boil-off - they would need to top off fuel levels before launching a missile - a missile which is not ready to be fired asap is not very useful :P although i agree, non cryogenic fuels / oxydizers are usually very toxic :) (but that don't stop militaries from using them - but need extra care cor maintenance :P)

I use them depending on the mission, but I use them pretty evenly depending on how I see it. RAPIERS do well with SSTOs, jet engines work cooperatively with RAPIER engines and alone themselves. Liquid engines cannot go alone without SRBs, unless you use Mainsail engines. Actually, use SRBs with Mainsails. It's an added boost to an already high thrust engine.

I managed to build a relaysat and launched with just the right mechjeb ascent path... my solid booster cuts out literally a hair before my target apoapsis and the decoupler nudges me up to it. (though there are a set of tiny 10-second boosters at the pad to help get me moving vs just falling over)

I don't think I could have done that intentionally :D

I use only solid, don't know why i never use liquid one ^^ I used to build the first stage only with solid boosters, and try to keep the thrust low to stay at terminal velocity, but it's sometimes difficult. Now, my first stage is often solid boosters+liquid fuel engines (mainsail or novapunch ones). That way, i got some gimbal and i can use liquid fuel engines thrust to stay at terminal velocity exactly. When taking off, i got a nice thrust to reach 100m/s quickly, then i lower liquid engines thrust to accelerate just under terminal velocity. I have to use aerodynamics winglets to keep control because of the low liquid engines thrust and high solid boosters thrust with no gimbal.

I think this is not optimized, but this is my style ^^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.