G'day from Oz

Blindside

Hey guys, new to the forum, enjoying the game immensely, thought i'd say hi.

Having a heap of fun now that I have figured out how to make rockets and not just very very very expensive fireworks and ballistic test missiles.

Only playing career, like the idea of earning all the parts by gathering science.

Done the Mun and back

Minimus too

Couple of questions though.

Duna is a good next step?

and are nuclear engines any good?

i unlocked one just now with 60 thrust and it couldn't get even the smallest rocked off the launchpad.

is it meant to be a zero atmosphere engine?

Blindside

hello blindside, first congratulations for already exploring the kerbin system, that's a great step,i couldt get into orbit after like weeks of gameplay :C, anyway duna seem like a good spot to focus your next mission, but i'd like to recommend to land on ike, duna's moon, before intending to land on duna,ike is pretty much like the mun while duna has and atmosphere, while its very tenous it can give new players a hard time, also practice docking before all of that would be great cause if you know how to dock you can make bigger ships in orbit and go anywhere you want, lastly nuclear engines are very heavy and have low thrust but are very efficient, eich means they're intented for space use only

TL;DR: first practice docking, then go to ike, and nuclear engines only work in space

correction: nuclear engines work best in space, but their thrust/weight is poor, and their 1 atmo Isp is atrocious.

Once you pass ~1800 in height, they pass 390 Isp and become the most efficient engines available. YMMV.

Also: welcome aboard.

Duna is probably the easiest to get to after Kerbin, but be warned: its thin atmosphere will mean parachutes dont work well enough to stop you reliably, you will probably need some powered landing.

hello blindside, first congratulations for already exploring the kerbin system, that's a great step,i couldt get into orbit after like weeks of gameplay :C, anyway duna seem like a good spot to focus your next mission, but i'd like to recommend to land on ike, duna's moon, before intending to land on duna,ike is pretty much like the mun while duna has and atmosphere, while its very tenous it can give new players a hard time, also practice docking before all of that would be great cause if you know how to dock you can make bigger ships in orbit and go anywhere you want, lastly nuclear engines are very heavy and have low thrust but are very efficient, eich means they're intented for space use only

it didnt even occur to me that duna would have its own moon.

oh dont worry i have been playing for a few weeks, hence the aformentioned expensive fireworks lol

finally seem to be getting the hang of moving through orbits and touching down gently.

many thanks, and onward to Ike!