Rocket SLed Launch to LKO

ROCKET SLED LAUNCH TO LKO CHALLENGE!

Hello Forum! Today I present to you, a CHALLENGE!

Jeb has decided that launching a rocket straight up into orbit is boring and there are less ways that it could explode. Jeb, being the only reason the government loans money to the Space Program, has told the engineers he wants all launches to be made by rocket sleds. Rocket sleds- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_sled_launch

To do this the engineers have turned to your amazing building skills to devise a rocket sled launched rocket that can carry the most weight possible to LKO!

RULES:

-Must be a 'sled' of sorts, that slides or uses wheels to move across terrain (the runway). Basically, it must actually slide!

-Rocket sled must NOT leave the ground OR Runway

-Mechjeb and things like that are not allowed, to keep the spirit of the challenge

-Entry must include a picture of rocket mounted on rocket sled, on the way to LKO, in LKO and weight of the payload in LKO

-NO DEBUG MENU!

-no jet engines of any kind

-no wings except for wingLETS

-sled can be powered by anything except infiniglide

-sled must move faster than 100m/s to be considered a rocket sled

-rocket must start horizontal relative to kerbin

-Try to have fun! (not a rule, but hopefully you guys will have fun doing this!)

THERE WILL BE DIFFERENT CATEGORIES TO KEEP THE PLAYING FIELD LEVEL! WHOEVER WINS IN A CATEGORY WILL HAVE BRAGGING RIGHTS AND SUCH!

These are:

-FAR Stock

- FAR Modded

-Modded

-Stock

Please specify which one your entry is! I have made one that worked, but it didn't carry more than a ton! I will post a better one as example tommorow because I need to do something in 'real live'.

Points are the amount of tons you got to orbit. 10pts for no wheels in sled!

LEADERBOARDS:

FAR STOCK:cool:

1-

2-

3-

FAR MODDED:cool:

1-142t 1096Bimu

2- SaplingPick - 16t

3-

MODDED:cool:

1-

2-

3-

STOCK:cool:

1- 2t Kasuha

2-

3-

Edited by SaplingPick

What it is is that your rocket will carry a big payload to LKO. But you must launch your rocket from a rocket sled ad the rocket sled must not leave the ground, and not planes, rockets. The rocket will go to LKO, but not the sled you used to launch. I hope this explained it better. This s not a troll challenge,1096bimu. This a proof of concept of the challenge, to explain:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
It did not meet the challenge requirements of getting to LKO, but it is very possible. Edited by SaplingPick

What it is is that your rocket will carry a big payload to LKO. But you must launch your rocket from a rocket sled ad the rocket sled must not leave the ground, and not planes, rockets. The rocket will go to LKO, but not the sled you used to launch. I hope this explained it better. This s not a troll challenge,1096bimu. This a proof of concept of the challenge, to explain: http://imgur.com/a/8KVO9 It did not meet the challenge requirements of getting to LKO, but it is very possible.

Isn't it more difficult if I did bring the sled with me?

Besides, that 250m/s free speed you've managed to gain seems insignificant compared to the 4700 or so you need to get to LKO.

Edited by 1096bimu

Besides, that 250m/s free speed you've managed to gain seems insignificant compared to the 4700 or so you need to get to LKO.

Not that it matters, this challenge is about building a rocket, and putting said rocket on a rocket sled that can support the rocket's weight and get it moving.

Anyway, just wondering, any bonus points for least amount of wheels used on the sled?

I think the reason this was described as a 'troll challenge' is because it's... well, not much of a challenge. What you're referring to is a spaceplane that leaves its wheels behind. The 'sled' part actually makes it easier than a plain old SSTO since you can launch with whatever speed you can get and full fuel tanks.

The fact that you don't have wings to pull up is also a challenge, and the fact it is not a plane and uses LF and oxidizer makes it heavy. Also you need to carry the most weight possible, and tht is a challenge in itself. The guy that said it was a troll challenge said it because he touht we could not leave the ground and had to get to LKO. it was a challenge for me to build a very small one, and if you think it is not a challenge worth your powress, you can just go somewhere else you think you will have a challenge. BUt you have a point about wings and spaceplaniness. Now no wings like planes or jets allowed.

The fact that you don't have wings to pull up is also a challenge, and the fact it is not a plane and uses LF and oxidizer makes it heavy. Also you need to carry the most weight possible, and tht is a challenge in itself. The guy that said it was a troll challenge said it because he touht we could not leave the ground and had to get to LKO. it was a challenge for me to build a very small one, and if you think it is not a challenge worth your powress, you can just go somewhere else you think you will have a challenge. BUt you have a point about wings and spaceplaniness. Now no wings like planes or jets allowed.

Then there is absolutely no point doing a sled takeoff.

The only advantage to it is getting 'free' lateral speed, some of which you can then (with the benefit of wings) roll through into the vertical. An SSTO profile has you getting basically vertical as soon as possible, and without wings, there's really no point. The difference between sled and no sled is really negligible.

I'm not saying it's not a bit of fun, just that the sled as you seem to be describing it doesn't really do anything.

Then there is absolutely no point doing a sled takeoff.

The only advantage to it is getting 'free' lateral speed, some of which you can then (with the benefit of wings) roll through into the vertical. An SSTO profile has you getting basically vertical as soon as possible, and without wings, there's really no point. The difference between sled and no sled is really negligible.

I'm not saying it's not a bit of fun, just that the sled as you seem to be describing it doesn't really do anything.

I don't care if there is no use in having sleds or not, THIS IS A CHALLENGE NOT A DISCUSSION ABOUT IT!!!! I thought the community could read the sub forum labels! PenguinsMeep seems to be the only one to get it! God! The challenge is to make it into vertical without wings and get to LKO, it doesn't have to be SSTO! It just happens that I managed something close to SSTO.

Edited by SaplingPick

This is more of a "Fun" challenge than a difficulty one. I personally love to make rocket sleds. Almost every plane I've designed in this game I've made a rocket sled for it just for fun. I recently tried out KW rocketry pack. I'll submit something with one of those massive SRBs from it tonight.

@Kasuha - if you can lose the jets and wings you can qualify, or else you don't because of the no jets or wings rule. I like the design! :) I know what you mean by never doing out again, it is tough to design it so it actually goes up! Glad it was fun for ya!

PS what was the weight of the part of the ship that reached orbit?

Edited by SaplingPick

147 tones, +10 for no wheels = 157 tones. And of course, it completely follows the rules as stated in the OP:

-It does move across terrain

-It is rocket powered, partially at least

-It does not leave the runway

-No jet engine, No wings, No Debug Menu

-Moded FAR

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by 1096bimu

Doesn't seem like it moves much, but since it does fit in the rules I guess this is an exception. Plz guys try to make your sleds move across ground fast , if it is physically possible to do so.

Leader board updated!