RAPIER as alternative to atomic rocket motor

Whilst deciding on which engine to use for my duna interplanetary ship, I found that the RAPIER engine rocket mode has both higher thrust and ISP than the LV-N rocket motor. Does this mean that for efficient burns, the RAPIER is better?

RAPIER has a much higher fuel consumption rate than the LV-N. I would still stick with Nuclear for your interplanetary burns. If you need a lot of in-atmosphere oomph for a lander, the aerospike might be a better choice, as it has the same thrust as Rapier, but better ISP vac&atmo.

Personally, my duna lander used four LV T45s and carried the three-man capsule to and from the surface with fuel to spare.

Whilst deciding on which engine to use for my duna interplanetary ship, I found that the RAPIER engine rocket mode has both higher thrust and ISP than the LV-N rocket motor. Does this mean that for efficient burns, the RAPIER is better?

The RAPIER has higher ISP than the LV-N in jet mode. So does every other jet engine. In rocket mode it's heavier than an LV-T45, with less thrust and lower ISP.

Basically, the only application of the RAPIER is SSTOs, and even then its usefulness compared to a combination of turbojets and rocket engines is questionable. SSTOs designed for interplanetary flight without refueling tend to use LV-Ns for their transfer burns.

A RAPIER might be useful for a Laythe lander, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.