0.23 Most science in a SINGLE LAUNCH

The goal is simple, get the most science points with a single launch in 0.23. I recommend that you start with all parts, so there is more variety and different strategies that could be employed. To start with every part, there are a number of means:

= start a new career game, launch the 1 man pod and do a crew report, anything that will get you some science. leave to main menu, open your save file with notepad and edit "sci =" to a huge enough number to unlock all parts.

= start a new careet game, unlock all nodes with TreeEdit

= start a new game, get some science, and edit it with Cheat Engine to a huge number.

Do whatever you want to unlock whatever parts you need, i recommend starting a new game because this way you don't have experiments you cannot repeat.

Once you do that, simple design your craft and fly it, see who can return with the most science points. Rules are as follows:

-There can be only ONE launch event. This means no commandable part can remain on the runway/launchpad once you take off. uncommandable parts like boosters can remain or fall off.

-There can by only ONE recover event. This means you can only press the recover vessel button once. You cannot do multiple returns.

-You don't have to return your craft but if you choose this, you can't return anything.

-No debug menu/Hyper Edit

-No reaction wheel/ control surface based PROPULSION

-No world changing mods like launch sites or the Kerbol system.

-Stock only for the stock only leader board. Plugin exceptions ONLY include: Enhanced Nav Ball, Raster Prop Monitor, Flight Engineer, UbioWelding (of stock parts), Protractor, Kerbal Alarm Clock, other visual enhancements.

-Moded leaderbord will also allow the use of ONLY these mods with NO modification: KAS, B9, KW Rocketry, NovaPunch 2, FAR, Mechjeb, RealChute, DeadlyReentry,other RELEASED 800-ISP class NTRs, Command pods and habitats with no propulsion, FireSpitter, RealChute, rover wheels/tracks, the Stretchy parts,Space Shuttle engines/smart parts pack, Damed Robotics/ modular arm,other nuclear reactors,other solar panels, other structure only parts, other fuel tanks/batteries that fall within +-20% of stock fuel tank/battery performance.

I want to keep up the freedom and hopefully without sacrificing much fairness, so unmentioned mods are not allowed. but if you think there is a balanced mod I haven't mentioned please tell me and I'll add it in. However the following ones I will not consider adding in because they are not balanced:

HL airships, all the plasman/warp/fussion/anti-matter stuff, star gates/mass relays, Kathane, fuel modifying mods, realistic overhals, my own F1 and space shuttle SRBs.

Because of the different Bioms giving huge amounts of science, I'll put up two separate leader boards. Kerbin system will have its own, and you will be counted here if you have ANY science obtained from either Mun or Minus

STOCK Kerbin:

1. Death Engineering - 10924

2. Sirine - 2995

STOCK non-Kerbin:

Edited by 1096bimu

cj6hBbtl.png

Moon Via Minmus and Duna Science Quest

This mission started out as a quest to visit every Minmus biome, then stop at Mun and land once or twice depending on fuel reserves, and back to Kerbin. However, once at Minmus, a quick check revealed Duna could be reached without a large delta-v expense, so off we went!

Using a low fuel consumption burn and aerocapture around Duna to get into Ike's orbit allowed for an Ike landing as well as the orbital Duna science. Without chutes on the lander, a powered descent on Duna would have rendered it stranded without enough delta-v to get back to Duna orbit, but Ike was reward enough.

After leaving Duna, the mission then aerocaptured around Kerbin to Mun's orbit where only a single landing could be done. More were planned, but fuel to Ike and back used up the reserves.

Stats:

• Mod: Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • First (and only) launch in a fresh game with full tech tree unlocked*
  • 9 Minmus landings
  • 1 Ike landing
  • 1 Mun landing
  • 151 science experiments recovered from the capsule
  • Science points earned from transmission: 1175.5
  • Science points earned from recovery: 9748.5
  • Total: 10924

Javascript is disabled. View full album

* Used the first method mentioned in the rules for getting full tech tree on first launch. After unlocking the tech tree, the "sci" value was reset prior to launch.

"= start a new career game, launch the 1 man pod and do a crew report, anything that will get you some science. leave to main menu, open your save file with notepad and edit "sci =" to a huge enough number to unlock all parts."

Edited by Death Engineering
Mentioned mods, method for getting full tech tree and corrected Minmus landings from 7 to 9

解éâ€Â零件ä¸Âç®—mod,1楼都说了。

榜的标题有点ä¸Âæ°当。建议å«Leaderboardå°±å¯以了。

Perhaps "Leaderboard" more suit to the leaderboard title?

Ah. Being tired of all those faulty challenges, you made your own.

Nice.

Did I? What did I change? I never changed any rules please do not spread false information.

Besides, why am I not allowed to change rules when everyone else can do it?

Did I? What did I change? I never changed any rules please do not spread false information.

Besides, why am I not allowed to change rules when everyone else can do it?

You made your own, unfaulty challenge. And that's a good thing.

Keep on the good work!

Also yes. To my knowledge, you didn't change any of your rules.

I did not intend any misinformation.

Edited by DJEN

Despite having several other missions on my plate I'm pretty convinced that a competitive score to Death Engineering could be made with half the launch mass. I'm going to have to find a chance to try it.

Oh I'm certain of it. A grand-tour craft would rock the scoreboard. Maybe an 'expert' mode on the challenge could include tier 0 or tier 1 parts only. Personally, I don't like to use "CHAD" staging (CHeap-And-Dirty) by overheating stacked SRB's, but a Tier 1 science points quest could be interesting.

Oh I'm certain of it. A grand-tour craft would rock the scoreboard. Maybe an 'expert' mode on the challenge could include tier 0 or tier 1 parts only. Personally, I don't like to use "CHAD" staging (CHeap-And-Dirty) by overheating stacked SRB's, but a Tier 1 science points quest could be interesting.

I believe there is already a challenge with tier 0 only parts.

I don't like it because it's all about who can stack the most number of SRBs and overheat them at the right time.

The term "FTL" is inaccurate, "LBB"(Light Barrier Bypassing) is more accurate.

you sure you don't want to fix that embarrassing misunderstanding of physics?

Oh I'm certain of it. A grand-tour craft would rock the scoreboard.

That was exactly my thought. A small nuclear or ion powered ship could perform low orbit passes of most of the bodies (no need to waste dV with a capture or landing) for about 9k in science, maybe landing on a few small bodies like Bop, Pol or Gilly where the cost is low and the reward is high to pick up another 1k-2k. Finish off with a detailed orbital survey of the Mun and Minmus with a possible landing on the Minmus biomes.

Hm. Theoretically my method could get over 17,000 science in this challenge without even leaving the Kerbin system. (It would be horribly tedious, however.) Engineering it would be a bit of a pain, but entirely doable...

sounds like the Mun and Minus bioms are OP, maybe I need a rule for that.

sounds like the Mun and Minus bioms are OP, maybe I need a rule for that.

Oh they are. Biomes in general break the hell out of KSP's science system, especially when you factor in the fact that many of us are horribly crafty engineers of our spacecraft. To wit!

super_science.jpg

I threw this together in under an hour this morning to demonstrate how one could theoretically use the Mun and Minmus to get all the science. By exploiting biomes, a super-light lander, polar orbits, and the ability of the science lab to reset experiments, it's possible to use this setup for a single-mission sweep of the Mun and Minmus. It's a slightly more powerful variant of my get-all-the-science craft I use in my 3-mission tech tree maximization routine (that one is only designed to suck the Mun dry of science).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.