[WEB] [1.0.5] KSP Optimal Rocket Calculator v1.20

Just updated the tool with the new parts in KSP 0.23.5.

Please note that the LFB KR-1x2 is not enabled until I've had a chance to refactor the code to support liquid fuel engines with attached fuel. I'm still in disbelief that they shipped a part like this, as it goes against the whole modularity theme of KSP. But, who am I to judge. >:/

• 3 months later...

Will you be updating your calculator for 0.24?

If you do I bet it will be one for the best resources for building the cheapest rocket that meets contract requirements!

I still use the calculator and it has really been useful. No rush though!

Will you be updating your calculator for 0.24?

If you do I bet it will be one for the best resources for building the cheapest rocket that meets contract requirements!

I still use the calculator and it has really been useful. No rush though!

Yes, I will be updating the app for 0.24 (hopefully) in a week or two. I'm away on vacation at the moment, but will get to it when im back. Looking forward to trying the new release. :)

Yes, I will be updating the app for 0.24 (hopefully) in a week or two. I'm away on vacation at the moment, but will get to it when im back. Looking forward to trying the new release. :)

If you have time. Could you also update the KW Rocketry as well.

5 meter parts!

• 2 weeks later...

The calculator has been updated for the new part costs in KSP 0.24.2. Thanks to pee8379 for going over all the parts!

Please note that the O-10 MonoPropellant Engine is not included as the calculator only works with Liquid Fuel/Oxygen tanks.

I have two suggestions, the former being much easier than the latter, and a question:

1) Restrict it to do only multiples of 2 and 3 (i.e., 2,3,4,6,8,9,12,16, etc.) so they can be put on in symmetry mode, because something like this would be very difficult to build:

[TABLE=class: panel-table table]

[TR]

[TH=class: stage]Stage[/TH]

[TH=class: parts]Part[/TH]

[TH=class: stageMultiplier]x[/TH]

[TH=class: cost]Cost[/TH]

[TH=class: mass]Mass (t)[/TH]

[TH=class: deltaV]Delta-V (m/s)[/TH]

[TH=class: twr]TWR[/TH]

[TH=class: time]Time (s)[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: ng-scope]

[TD=class: stage] 0[/TD]

[TD=class: parts partList]

1. Payload: 30t

[/TD]

[TD=class: stageMultiplier][/TD]

[TD=class: cost ng-binding]0 / 0[/TD]

[TD=class: mass ng-binding]30.000 / 30.000[/TD]

[TD=class: deltaV ng-binding]0 / 10078[/TD]

[TD=class: twr ng-binding]0.00[/TD]

[TD=class: time ng-binding]0.0 / 483.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: stage] 1[/TD]

1. TR-38-D
  2. Kerbodyne S3-3600 Tank
  3. Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank
  4. Kerbodyne KR-2L Advanced Engine

[/TD]

[TD=class: cost ng-binding]51450 / 51450[/TD]

[TD=class: mass ng-binding]109.800 / 139.800[/TD]

[TD=class: deltaV ng-binding]3852 / 10078[/TD]

[TD=class: twr ng-binding]1.82[/TD]

[TD=class: time ng-binding]134.3 / 483.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: stage] 2[/TD]

1. TR-38-D
  2. Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank
  3. S3 KS-25x4 Engine Cluster

[/TD]

[TD=class: cost ng-binding]55800 / 107250[/TD]

[TD=class: mass ng-binding]92.550 / 232.350[/TD]

[TD=class: deltaV ng-binding]1311 / 6226[/TD]

[TD=class: twr ng-binding]1.40[/TD]

[TD=class: time ng-binding]79.5 / 349.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: stage] 3[/TD]

1. TT-38K Radial Decoupler
  2. S1 SRB-KD25k

[/TD]

[TD=class: stageMultiplier]x7[/TD]

[TD=class: cost ng-binding]16800 / 124050[/TD]

[TD=class: mass ng-binding]152.425 / 384.775[/TD]

[TD=class: deltaV ng-binding]1024 / 4915[/TD]

[TD=class: twr ng-binding]1.21[/TD]

[TD=class: time ng-binding]70.8 / 269.7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: stage] 4[/TD]

2. Kerbodyne S3-7200 Tank
  3. Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank x2
  4. S3 KS-25x4 Engine Cluster

[/TD]

[TD=class: stageMultiplier]x7[/TD]

[TD=class: cost ng-binding]651000 / 775050[/TD]

[TD=class: mass ng-binding]1503.425 / 1888.200[/TD]

[TD=class: deltaV ng-binding]3891 / 3891[/TD]

[TD=class: twr ng-binding]1.21[/TD]

[TD=class: time ng-binding]198.9 / 198.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

(no spoiler tags makes me unhappy about all that space)

I'm new to this game and the terminology, is the "x7" in the above is what the "Maximum # of Stacks" setting refers to, or does it refer to maximum amount of stages that can linked via a stack decoupler, or the maximum number of fuel tanks that can be stacked on top of their engine?

2) Scan the user's gamedata folder for the parts said user has installed to make the part list, as opposed to or in addition to maintaining the stock (and KW) part list you have now. I'm not even certain this is feasible, as I don't know if your program is capable of reading local files in the first place. It might be easier to just add the parts from all the various mods like OKS, KAS, FireSpitter, and etc.

EDIT: Make that three suggestions: Add an option to check/uncheck parts based on the tech. tree. (So, for example, unchecking all the items in "Heavy Rocketry" instead of having to uncheck "Skipper", "Poodle", etc., individually.)

Edited by eyeonus

The calculator has been updated to include the new parts and costs in KW Rocketry 2.6c. In addition, I have written a small program for auto-generating the list of parts based on the config files in a mod. This greatly simplifies the process of adding new and maintaining existing parts from part packs.

I have suggestions:

1) Restrict it to do only multiples of 2 and 3 (i.e., 2,3,4,6,8,9,12,16, etc.) so they can be put on in symmetry mode, because something like this would be very difficult to build:

The calculator makes no guarantee that the optimal configuration is buildable or flyable. That's an exercise left to the user.

I'm new to this game and the terminology, is the "x7" in the above is what the "Maximum # of Stacks" setting refers to

Yes.

2) Scan the user's gamedata folder for the parts said user has installed to make the part list, as opposed to or in addition to maintaining the stock (and KW) part list you have now. I'm not even certain this is feasible, as I don't know if your program is capable of reading local files in the first place. It might be easier to just add the parts from all the various mods like OKS, KAS, FireSpitter, and etc.

This would be ideal. But like you said, it's much easier just to include the most common mods.

Add an option to check/uncheck parts based on the tech. tree. (So, for example, unchecking all the items in "Heavy Rocketry" instead of having to uncheck "Skipper", "Poodle", etc., individually.)

Now this is actually a really good suggestion. I'll add it to the list of things todo.

Awesomeness. The auto-generate program, is it only something you can use to create the list, or is it something in the interface for users?

It's just for making my life easier in maintaining the app. A lot of parts have inaccurate or missing data, so some hand editing of the results is still required.

• 1 month later...

I just came here to say thanks for this amazing tool! I've managed to launch a few full space stations in one go.

I was going to suggest an option to use "Onion" staging (All engines fire at once, fuel flows from one entire stage to the next), but I noticed that doing this, or firing the engines in different stages without fuel lines gives almost the same Delta-V, so adding that option won't affect the program calculations at all. The only difference is that you start with more TWR, so you get out of the atmosphere faster. It's slightly more efficient.

I also noticed that using different engines produces a very similar Delta-v. NERVAs for example, they can burn longer, but also have less thrust, so, in fact, you get almost the same Delta-V. I'm not sure if I understand these mechanics correctly, but seems like the maximum Delta-V depends only on the maximum fuel and total mass, not the engines, but I guess I'm missing some details. Anyway, great job! This tools is really useful.

EDIT: Ignore that last paragraph, I was looking at atmospheric stats. NERVAs give more Delta-V in vacuum, so the maximum Delta-V also depends on the Isp.

Edited by MaxShadow

Very cool tool, but one useful tweak would be to have the TWR restriction only apply to the first X amount of delta-V (e.g. 4500) -- that way you could have it spec an entire interplanetary mission with enough thrust to get off of Kerbin and enough LV-N delta-V to get to Jool or whereever. Obviously you can run it repeatedly, first to get the mass of the interplanetary stage, then again to design the booster, but some finer control over TWR minimum would let you do it all in one go.

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice tool.

Maybe you could add an option to restrict the final stage to throttleable engines though. I usually optimize for cost but very often i get a SRB as final stage which isn't really that useful for launching stuff into orbit.

• 4 weeks later...

can someone send me a picture of a rocket like this http://gyazo.com/61ead7e6f9c532d92751a6f08fc421ed i cant seem to use any rocket design because im so confused on placement as you cannot do a equal number for the X2 if it means symmetry for 1 "Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank" like my stage 2 in the picture :(

Edited by Tulipk

• 3 weeks later...

A few suggestions for this neat tool:

1. Allow optimising for cost per dV, which some people (myself included) may find more useful than optimising for cost.

2. Option to require final stage has X dV, useful if you want it to figure out an ideal probe thrust stage for going interplanetary (probably will end up being ion powered) as well as a lifter for said probe stage.

3. Add ion engines if possible, maybe with an option to restrict it to the last stage.

4. Drop-down options for dV requirements for various trips, such as entering orbit or going to Moho and back, for user convenience.

5. Maximum vessel size, in all dimensions (vertical is likely the only one that matters much though), to allow making designs that fit inside constraints of the launch pad in 0.90.0, maybe also with a drop-down for the 3 stages, maybe even tie it in with mass restrictions too.

6. A tech tree display, to make it easier to select unlocked tech.

7. Some way to scan the entire user directory for their part setup, which would eliminate the need to manually add every mod ever as well as accounting for edits to stock parts.

8. An option to prevent SRBs being used after liquid fuel engines stage-wise, usually never happens anyways but could speed things up.

9. An option to only use SRBs either in the first X stages, or for the first X dV, so that you get throttle-able engines where you need them (as in out of orbit).

I might also go and make a java version of this tool, for speed reasons, JS isn't exactly great for these kind of brute-force calculations...I'll likely link it here too if I actually get it to a state I consider complete enough, as well as share source.

1. Allow optimising for cost per dV, which some people (myself included) may find more useful than optimising for cost.

Interesting idea... I'll play around with this.

2. Option to require final stage has X dV, useful if you want it to figure out an ideal probe thrust stage for going interplanetary (probably will end up being ion powered) as well as a lifter for said probe stage.

You could just run a simulation with one stage and X dV. Then open a new tab and run again for the launcher.

3. Add ion engines if possible, maybe with an option to restrict it to the last stage.

Different fuel types would require a complete rewrite - something I don't have the time for at the moment.

4. Drop-down options for dV requirements for various trips, such as entering orbit or going to Moho and back, for user convenience.

I had thought about doing that, but didn't want to have that one guy who's like "your suggestions are too small/big and X would be better" or "I can't get to X with with this tool; it must be broken".

5. Maximum vessel size, in all dimensions (vertical is likely the only one that matters much though), to allow making designs that fit inside constraints of the launch pad in 0.90.0, maybe also with a drop-down for the 3 stages, maybe even tie it in with mass restrictions too.

This too would be nice to have. The tool would only be able to do a best guess as to the size of the rocket, as the payload size is undefined.

6. A tech tree display, to make it easier to select unlocked tech.

Already on the TODO list.

7. Some way to scan the entire user directory for their part setup, which would eliminate the need to manually add every mod ever as well as accounting for edits to stock parts.

Most part configs are badly written or just plain wrong, and a lot of hand editing is required to get the part list as it is already. But yes, something I would like to have as well.

8. An option to prevent SRBs being used after liquid fuel engines stage-wise, usually never happens anyways but could speed things up.

9. An option to only use SRBs either in the first X stages, or for the first X dV, so that you get throttle-able engines where you need them (as in out of orbit).

Might actually be a good idea. I'll add it to the list.

I might also go and make a java version of this tool, for speed reasons, JS isn't exactly great for these kind of brute-force calculations...I'll likely link it here too if I actually get it to a state I consider complete enough, as well as share source.

Modern browser's JS engines are pretty fast these days (as close as half the speed as native). I think the convenience of an online tool outweighs speed, but feel free to create your own. I'll even consider linking to it from the first post.

• 1 month later...

Just one quick question here:

I'm getting x2 asparagus suggestions for a 1t payload to tylo:

[TABLE=class: panel-table table]

[TD=class: stage]0

[/TD]

1. Payload: 1t

[/TD]

[TD=class: cost ng-binding]0 / 0[/TD]

[TD=class: mass ng-binding]1.000 / 1.000[/TD]

[TD=class: deltaV ng-binding]0 / 8080[/TD]

[TD=class: twr ng-binding]0.00[/TD]

[TD=class: time ng-binding]0.0 / 657.1

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: stage] 1

[/TD]

1. ROUND-8 Toroidal Fuel Tank
  2. FL-T100 Fuel Tank
  3. FL-T400 Fuel Tank
  4. LV-N Atomic Rocket Motor

[/TD]

[TD=class: cost ng-binding]10160 / 10160[/TD]

[TD=class: mass ng-binding]5.199 / 6.199[/TD]

[TD=class: deltaV ng-binding]4296 / 8080[/TD]

[TD=class: twr ng-binding]1.23[/TD]

[TD=class: time ng-binding]341.9 / 657.1

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: stage] 2

Asparagus [/TD]

2. FTX-2 External Fuel Duct
  3. ROUND-8 Toroidal Fuel Tank
  4. FL-T100 Fuel Tank
  5. FL-T200 Fuel Tank
  6. FL-T400 Fuel Tank
  7. LV-N Atomic Rocket Motor

[/TD]

[TD=class: stageMultiplier]x2[/TD]

[TD=class: cost ng-binding]23670 / 33830[/TD]

[TD=class: mass ng-binding]12.697 / 18.896[/TD]

[TD=class: deltaV ng-binding]3783 / 3783

[/TD]

[TD=class: twr ng-binding]1.21

[/TD]

[TD=class: time ng-binding]315.2 / 315.2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

How should I understand this? The 2 LV-N stacks of stage two light at the same time as stage 1 and feed into it? Im confused.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.