New to KSP! :D

Clockwork13

So 2 days ago, I joined KSP, and its really fun and addicting, even though it can get frustrating at times. I have so far managed to launch 2 ships into orbit around the sun in career mode, both happened by mistake while I was trying to flyby by minmus but I end up getting thrusted away from kerbin by Mun. I don't know what else to say here, so fly safe everyone!

It's a pretty common problem for me too actually XD. Lately I've been visiting Minmus a lot, and a good chunk of the time I'm trying to perfect the maneuver node for a transfer, the frickin' Mun keeps getting in the way! But once you actually do make it to Minmus, the dV requirements are infinitesimal. A craft that's totally impotent around Kerbin will make a snack of Minmus' gravity, so don't be afraid to build small. :)

I sometimes fly away from Minmus in a polar orbit (easy to do, as RSwordsman says because of the super low gravity) and return to Kerbin above the plane of the Mun. Easier to avoid it that way, and Kerbin is still right in the middle pulling me home.

Ah, Minmus. I thought it was Minimus, for quite a while. :)

It's easier to get to than Mun (Landing and return, anyway. You need a slightly larger transfer stage.) Hope you get better with it. Takes a while but is worth it!

Welcome! Thought I might offer a tip or three : )

In career mode, it is best to start with manned rocket launches and landings in different Kerbal biomes. Data from those will be enough to carry you along the most important branch of the tech tree, namely, the one that unlocks MOAR (ahem)... more of the scientific instruments.

Don't neglect the spaceport area, it consists of three biomes, you will get science (after recovering your capsules) from:

-Launchpad

-Runway

-KSC (any point around the space center which is not a launchpad or runway)

For more info, look here: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Biome

The sky is the limit : ) or... maybe it is not!

P.S. There is another biome, called Kerbal Shores, just outside of the space center. Also, if you head west a bit, there is a Grasslands biome, and a bit further towards the mountains, Highlands biome. One can reach those easily with a small tank to set you off and one parachute to set you down.

Don't forget to do both an EVA report and a Surface Sample.

Edited by BlackBicycle

yeah,tips from me too: use F5 to make a quicksave.You can get back to saved point by holding F9. click alt+> (or .) to use physics timewarp (for long burns in space).

hold shift and click wasdqe in VAB or SPH to slightly rotate parts. If you can't place a part,move mouse up,then down (<-- usually works).

erm..what more.. Getting from one planet to another is like getting from one moon to another.Don't warp when you are about to deploy a parachute.Use warp only when it's fully deployed.You can right click various parts,in vab or in flight :) hold shift and wasd while on ladder. You don't need a lander for gilly,bop,ike,pol and minmus.It's actually hard to jetpack down on minmus,but it's possible.Anyway,enjoy easter eggs,don't be afraid of white columns on duna (if they find you) and Use THIS to keep pushing yourself forward :)

Thanks for the tips everyone, but quick question; How do I set maneuvers?

yeah,tips from me too: use F5 to make a quicksave.You can get back to saved point by holding F9. click alt+> (or .) to use physics timewarp (for long burns in space).

hold shift and click wasdqe in VAB or SPH to slightly rotate parts. If you can't place a part,move mouse up,then down (<-- usually works).

erm..what more.. Getting from one planet to another is like getting from one moon to another.Don't warp when you are about to deploy a parachute.Use warp only when it's fully deployed.You can right click various parts,in vab or in flight :) hold shift and wasd while on ladder. You don't need a lander for gilly,bop,ike,pol and minmus.It's actually hard to jetpack down on minmus,but it's possible.Anyway,enjoy easter eggs,don't be afraid of white columns on duna (if they find you) and Use THIS to keep pushing yourself forward :)

What white columns?

I've got a few Kerbals starving to death in solar (kerbolar?) orbit myself! I was aiming for Duna but didn't have the angles quite right.

This is my greatest fear at the moment...the prime crew (Jeb, Bill, Bob) are all en route home to Kerbin from Dres. They simply must make their plane change maneuver on time in order to reach Kerbin. If I miss it (timewarping another mission) then they're doomed to orbit the sun forever...

I learned what I needed to from the great series of YouTube tutorials from Scott Manley. He explains how to launch, build advanced rockets, rendezvous/dock, and how to fly to the Mun. Or other planets.

There are links to these tutorials from the Kerbal Space Program wiki too. Or just search YouTube.

Click on your orbit, click set maneuver, wheel comes up with different icons for prograde, retrograde, and other directions. Pull on the icons to plan thrust in that direction.

One of the short tutorials built into the game (orbital maneuvers or something like that) covers this, too, I think.