Rocket Car LFO Delivery Challenge

Hello guys,

This is a simple challenge that will test your building skills and driving skills.

THE ROCKET CAR LF DELIVERY CHALLENGE!

Goal: To carry the most LF in a rover/car the southern shore of KSC at the fastest speed possible, and stop before you die by smashing into sea. The reason is because since jeb uses so many boosters, KSC has excess LF and has decided to export it to other places, and the south shore is where the tankers will stop at.

How will you be scored: scores will be given by taking the amount of LF (LiquidFuel) you carried and times it by the fastest speed achieved in the F3 menu, then you have your score.

RULES:

-no cheating (debug menu, etc)

-vehicle must not jump over ground or fly above ground (hops because of suspension is ok, as long as it is not 1m in height)

-must have AT LEAST a screenshot of vehicle at runway, moving to destination, slowing down, and stopped at destination.

-mods are accepted as long as not overpowered

-no exploit of bugs (infiniglide)

-vehicle must have at least 1 wheel of any kind (landing gear, rover wheels, fuel tanks)

-specify if you used FAR or not, FAR will get separate leaderboard

-decoupling is allowed.

-all parts are allowed except for overpowered ones (that means parachutes ARE allowed)

-no part clipping

To sum it up, carry the most LF and go the fastest m/s you can, then stop safely. :cool:

REMEMBER: IF JEB LIKES IT THEN IT MUST BE PERFECT!

Achievements:

Look Ma, No Rockets! - do not have any boosters,LF engines Jets on the vehicle. + 100p

Minimalistic - use less than 10 parts. + 10p

Mach Kerbal - vehicle is manned and reaches more than 300m/s. +15p

Mach Probe - unmanned and reaches more than 300m/s. +10p

Jeb - only use SRBs + 25p

Picture of the location:

J9mK7cS.png

Leaderboards:

-No FAR-

1. 1096Bimu with 29,030,400 points!

2. RandomJeb with 5,057,520 points!

3. Xaiier with 4,415,650 points!

4. SaplingPick with 1,391,040 points!

5. Markus Resse with 392,175 points!

-FAR-

Edited by SaplingPick

Totally gonna do this, I've got a old design that should work nicely.

Could you explain better how points are calculated? Is it liquid fuel only or lf plus oxidizer?

Also, might be a good idea to post an example run yourself.

Hiya, breaking the ice for this one. I have the vid of the rocket uploading so will update when that is done. I am sure it will be beaten quick, but figured is a good place to start. No FAR

WHuPFjI.jpg

(2880 fuel + 25 SRB only) * 135m/s ground speed = 392175 points!

Edited by Markus Reese

Here's my entry:

At the start:

screenshot0.png

On Route:

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

Approaching Destination:

screenshot3.png

Stopped:

screenshot5.png

I'm just a bit north of the goal location but I traveled a full 4km so that shouldn't be an issue.

Score: 88313 * 50 = 4,415,650 points

GL all

Decoupler Suspension, Fantastic XD. That thing is just silly awesome!

I had a period of time a couple versions back where I forgot about space and focused entirely on suspension systems and massive kerbin-going vehicles. This highly-expandable setup was the result.

Scores are counted by liquidFuel units, no oxidiser, like the rules state. I will get a sample entry done tomorrow and update leaderboard, I was busy with other things. Ps you guys have awesome entries already! Better than my initial tests to see if it was possible! (FAR hates slowing down) please recheck your scores if you counted LF and OXI.

Edited by SaplingPick

Markus, I just noticed that in your entry the vehicle is mostly destroyed as said by the F3 menu, and so I can't accept it because of the Goal section of the challenge. I'm sure you can try it again and not smash into sea? Because when your fuel tanks smashed you lost the LF in them, so either you try again or you get 0 points, which would be weird. sorry! Good luck to all! :D

EDIT EDIT EDIT! I JUST NOTICED I WAS WRONG! SORRY MARKUS! THE DAMAGE WAS FROM THE SEPARATED BOOSTERS! SO SORRY! Well, then you are in the leaderboard. I like how you drove into sea, actually.

Edited by SaplingPick

Markus, I just noticed that in your entry the vehicle is mostly destroyed as said by the F3 menu, and so I can't accept it because of the Goal section of the challenge. I'm sure you can try it again and not smash into sea? Because when your fuel tanks smashed you lost the LF in them, so either you try again or you get 0 points, which would be weird. sorry! Good luck to all! :D

EDIT EDIT EDIT! I JUST NOTICED I WAS WRONG! SORRY MARKUS! THE DAMAGE WAS FROM THE SEPARATED BOOSTERS! SO SORRY! Well, then you are in the leaderboard. I like how you drove into sea, actually.

Well, it just wouldn't be worth the Jeb points if stuff wasn't exploding around the large tank of fuel and oxidizer :-3. I did break a fin off the tanks when I early jettisoned the braking srbs.... which weren't actually needed because I had plenty of braking power, but then again, Jeb refused to autograph my fanbook without them. :D

Funny thing though. I had a perfect test run, then about 20 that went wildly out of control when I wanted to record. I had to add the second row of wheels just to stabilize it!

Edited by Markus Reese

I lost a whole booster on my entry, and it was stable nonetheless. there is no rule against your ship getting damaged but it would be impossible to give people scores of 0 due to lost LF. I want to see more of these awesome designs! :D

PS: Leaderboard updated, RandomJeb is winning so far, good job RandomJeb. Bet you hope nobody beats you now!

Edited by SaplingPick

RandomJeb, thats a great design, I didn't think anyone would beat mine that quickly but I didn't think about horizontal arrangement!

SaplingPick, would it be too much to ask for the leaderboard to be separated into mod/stock and remove the mod restriction? Unless the validity of stock fairness for 1096bimu's mod craft can be certified, I don't think its right to include it in the same leaderboard, and at first look it seems a little unbalanced, not to mention the fact that things like giant mod tanks are inherently easier to utilize in the challenge and present an unfair advantage.

1096bimu, you calculated your score incorrectly:

175 m/s is the default top speed over land, its set like that when you load in, probably due to planetary rotation or something. The challenge rules imply that you are supposed to use the highest speed achieved stat which is 153 m/s, and your final screenshot only shows 165862 LF, whereas you counted the full capacity of your tanks.

Your actual score is 153 * 165862 = 25,376,886

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.