The X-20 "stationmaker" cargo SSTO

Hello everybody, Im proud to present you one of my recent cargo SSTO which called the X-20 or in his nickname the "stationmaker" :D , also I will show you how I built a space station with It.

i76c9g.png

30lfn04.png

The X-20 main target is to create space station in LKO , but unlike most SSTO he got a 2m (and a bit more) cargo bay so you can get your crew storage and labs to space.

The X-20 have no RCS because its a cargo plane, when building stations he brings a tag with the first or second part for docking all stuff together.

The X-20 can be attachable as subassembly, his root part is a docking port.

Note that unlike other SSTO the x-20 is not airhog, having 7 intakes for 3 engines (2.3... ratio).

Some details:

Weight: 17.2 tons

Cargo max weight: until 6-7 tons (max payload taken is 6 but without a problem)

Part count: 54

Jets: 3 turbo

Rockets: 2 lv-909

Fuel: liquid fuel: 880 oxidizer: 792 (tweaked for fuel balance from 880)

Electricity: 430, 1 2*3 solar panel.

Owner manual:

Action group:

1) Toggle jets

2) Toggle rockets

3) Toggle intakes

4) Toggle solar panel.

Flight manual:

1) After making the cargo attach the X-20 from the subassembly category than launch.

2) Press 1 for activating jets, takeoff and fly 60 degrees until in height of 10km than go 30 degrees.

3) In 18000 go 20 degrees and slowly go horizontally as much as you can without stop climing.

4) Watch for engine flame out, when it will happen the X-20 wont lose control fast so than press 1 and activate the tail jet again, and activate with 2 the rockets.

5) Now get some more speed and go orbital, when out of the atmosphere open the solar panel with 4.

6) Unleash cargo

7) Deorbit and land somewhere.

For more help in flight and use ask and I will help you gladly :)

Download link:

(note: it will say you need some software but it will download you my file nothing else)

http://speedy.sh/JwUNC/X-20-stationmaker.craft (the X-20)

(deadly re-entry proof)

how I made KSS:

I used the X-20 for launching the core

29bm528.png

I launched the big space lab with a tug for the station but have no picture of this one, only for the next

Than I got a tiny SSTO with jeb to the station (which i will post next time)

scumc7.png

Later on added antenna model of remote tech 2 , but without this SSTO because i wanted to try new hybrid rocket launcher.

2ztlq55.png

eldar158

Edited by Eldar158

I'd love to know, how did you build that frame? I've tried it but couldn't really get a symmetrical/balanced result, the part the framework reconnects to always takes over the double symmetry of said frame, or otherwise it's just lopsided and ugly.

Enlighten us! :D

well thanks very much guys, i worked a lot on this design. :D

I'd love to know, how did you build that frame? I've tried it but couldn't really get a symmetrical/balanced result, the part the framework reconnects to always takes over the double symmetry of said frame, or otherwise it's just lopsided and ugly.

Enlighten us!

For making the cargo bay I started with a clamp-o-tron as a root part and put the jet fuel tank behind it

used the beams for the structure and for close it i use cubic structural strut upside down and connect the next fuel tank to the edge which is inner. (shown in the picture)

wbtn3q.png

eldar158

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.