The X-23 Spaceplane: Around the World in 1 Hour

xeranes

After hours years of development the X-23 has been deemed unsafe for distribution! Outfitted with the latest in C7 prototype engines and parts, the X-23 is capable of both atmospheric and orbital flight. The X-23 only utilizes four mobile tail fins, relying almost totally on the gimballing of its engines to maneuver. This allows it to maintain almost all of its capabilities in atmosphere and in orbit; however, it also means that fuel is a strict time limit. Sub-orbital velocities can easily exceed 300m/s, when out of the atmosphere the X-23 can achieve escape velocity.

In order to use this .craft you will need the latest C7 part pack as well as his prototype pack (first update).

Awesome, but can it land?

Depends on what you mean by 'land'... =P

I am working on retro-rocket assisted parachute system to bring it down gently, but landing gear is out of the question for the wing configuration!

EDIT: uploaded a new photo of a pseudo-isometric view!

I don\'t want to rain on anyone\'s parade, but I find this a perfect chance to use this situation as a learning session as well as a form of constructive criticism.

You see, the atmosphere drag varies so greatly from sea level to the edge of itself, and 20km is no where near the density of flying under 5km. Dramatic difference. If you can get atleast past 900m/s under 5km (and not tiny airplanes with a dozen massive engines that last for seconds), everyone will be surely impressed; that is an amazing speed.

20km on the other hand isn\'t very difficult, in fact, I usually go so fast that I dont have enought air to grab onto the wings so I end up out of Kerbin\'s atmoshpere of sheer speed! :D

Also, from my calculator is seems as if a decently close orbit of 100km only lasts about 33 minutes.

P.S.: Now I know why it looked so familiar, it\'s the exact same design of the Swan-42! http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=5140.0

P.S.: Now I know why it looked so familiar, it\'s the exact same design of the Swan-42! http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=5140.0

Great Scots! I haven\'t seen that yet... Welp... lol! To be fair, it isn\'t the exact same design... just similar fuselage!

Also, I try to stay as low as possible when doing speed readings, hence the 300m/s average! That pic at 20km was after my fuel had run out and I was re-entering the atmosphere.

Great Scots! I haven\'t seen that yet... Welp... lol! To be fair, it isn\'t the exact same design... just similar fuselage!

Also, I try to stay as low as possible when doing speed readings, hence the 300m/s average! That pic at 20km was after my fuel had run out and I was re-entering the atmosphere.

A funny thing I forgot to mention is that so much fuel is lost going faster than 150 m/s in this game, it\'s not realistic enough to properly fly planes just yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.