Project Odysseus

Here\'s my personal project, needs a bit more work..

Looks smart, how do you get all those lower engines nicely lined up? symmetry starts acting weird once you branch that much. Also do you have the craft file?

I would like to try making a Munar lander if thats cool with you guys? ;D

Yeah of course, I\'ll add you as a lander designer.

Can I join as test pliot?

Of course, just download any of the craft files and get testing. Try out the Odyssey Iv1.01 design kosmo posted, I\'ve flown it the once and it flies quite nicely, but I didn\'t empty the tanks enough to test it gliding abilities properly. Also I\'ll add you to the list.

The current rocket doesnt really have any cargo capacity so if spacecraft design could try and find a way to incorporate some I will start working on a lander. Also are mod items usable or are we only working on the base game?

The easiest way is for the lander or whatever top stage you want to be designed first, then post it to allow others to finish adding the remaining stages below. We\'re using the base game, wing-lets make good landing legs.

I suggest that project Odysseus start working on an interplanetary ship. It would be nice to have a stock spaceship that can travel the vast space in the Kerbol system before other planets are added.

Sounds like an idea, I purpose this design is designated the Argon I (keeping to the greek names). I can get working on the upper stage.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=4137.0

This page taught me everything I needed to know to reliably get to the mun. You need to get into a equatorial orbit, before timing your TMI to get your apogee to about the orbital radius of the mun, but also position it so where the mun will have moved too once you reach apogee.

I find that using the map view and positioning the screen so you are looking directly down at kerbin\'s north pole and then rotate the mun in your top right of the screen, you then wait until your craft is just about reaching the lowest point on the screen before you thrust in the direction of travel, until your apogee reaches just short of the mun\'s orbital radius. Hopefully you will have timed it so your orbit will directly pointing upwards on the screen. Fast forwards and hopefully your orbit will intercept with the mun, and it will be captured by it\'s gravity.

For some reason the very first odysseus craft made it past munar orbit and went into Kerbol (Sun) orbit with distance going up and down at the M mark.

Any reasons?

Test Pliot doomboy101 signing out

Pilot error. Any Mun-going craft can easily achieve escape velocity from Kerbin. Just do the reading Darkshadow suggested, and you\'ll be doing fine.

Hmmm. I was expecting something bigger. How are the Kerbalnauts supposed to land back on Kerbin?

You want something that is going to get back again. Okay well I will get working on that, I designed this one to be able to try and escape the solar system.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.